Fly Closeup - First handheld focus stack attempt

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went out tonight and did some test shooting with some new settings to figure some flash stuff out (which I think I got ironed out). Lighting seems much better.

Killing two birds with one stone, I shot this time specifically to try a little hand focus stacking. Below is three images stacked, all shot handheld.

p587764227-4.jpg

crop from the shot above
p1002384334-4.jpg

wow, excellent job, I've wanted to look into stacking recently too. are these shot on your 180 Tamron?

Thanks guys. Yes this was shot with the Tamron 180mm.

Very impressive. A number of people don't give Tamron enough credit when it comes to the quality of their optics. You did a great job.

Very nice! Whats the new lighting setup?

Very impressive. A number of people don't give Tamron enough credit when it comes to the quality of their optics. You did a great job.

Thank you. I agree....tamron makes some very nice lenses that are often overlooked. Both this and my Tarmon 17-50 f2.8 are very sharp lenses with very nice bokeh.

Thanks. New lighting setup in this shot was...really not a new setup, just figured something out thanks to someone on another forum. I was shooting in spot metering which was causing the ttl flash to over light everything giving me really bad hotspots and overexposure. I shoot in full manual on the camera but ttl uses the metering for flash exposure. I switched to Matrix metering and ttl (or ttl-bl...I saw no difference) and anywhere from 0 to -0.7 FEC and things started looking much better. The newest fly photo thread I posted went one step further and I angled the flash closer to my subject by probably 4-5" (essentially making the softbox act as if it's bigger) and this helped a bunch too...getting much softer and more manageable light now.

Thank you. I agree....tamron makes some very nice lenses that are often overlooked. Both this and my Tarmon 17-50 f2.8 are very sharp lenses with very nice bokeh.

Thanks. New lighting setup in this shot was...really not a new setup, just figured something out thanks to someone on another forum. I was shooting in spot metering which was causing the ttl flash to over light everything giving me really bad hotspots and overexposure. I shoot in full manual on the camera but ttl uses the metering for flash exposure. I switched to Matrix metering and ttl (or ttl-bl...I saw no difference) and anywhere from 0 to -0.7 FEC and things started looking much better. The newest fly photo thread I posted went one step further and I angled the flash closer to my subject by probably 4-5" (essentially making the softbox act as if it's bigger) and this helped a bunch too...getting much softer and more manageable light now.

Cool! Thanks:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back