Focal length & Aperture Combo

Mhall2714

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey!

I have been playing around with my Canon T5i and 18-55mm stock lens. I am looking to shoot close up beauty photos much like the one below which I am trying to replicate (I did not shoot this photo). I am trying to master my settings to achieve the sharpest photos possible for these type of up close photos. By the way, this photo is also shot with a Canon T5i & 18-55mm lens. I got a sharp image at F/14 under Av mode with the lens all the way zoomed out at 55mm but I feel there is a better setting, when I don't have Av mode I have it set to 1/250. I am wondering what focal length and aperture combination is the best to replicate a photo like this. Thanks! View attachment 137245

If it's not your photo you shouldn't post it (this is a photography forum after all).
please change it to a link instead as it's copywrited from swetianapetuhova @tirediron

But if you look at the image you'll see a circular light, which could be a Beauty Dish. Looking at other photos I think this particular one is cropped from a larger image. The pros once they chime in will be able to help more.

What if you post some of your photos, and we can lead you to how to do this type of shot ?

Last edited:
Shot with a ring light, it seems. That shot has good depth of field. I would shoot it at low ISO, (ISO value of 100) with electronic flash at f/13 at 1/180 second or so. I would use a longer lens, a 90mm macro lens, but the 55mm would do if that's what you have. FOCUS placement will be important: bracketing the focus by moving the focusing ring in small increments would be a good idea.

Shot with a ring light, it seems. That shot has good depth of field. I would shoot it at low ISO, (ISO value of 100) with electronic flash at f/13 at 1/180 second or so. I would use a longer lens, a 90mm macro lens, but the 55mm would do if that's what you have. FOCUS placement will be important: bracketing the focus by moving the focusing ring in small increments would be a good idea.
ring (macro) light around the lens or one of those large shoot-through ones ?

oh that's a great idea! Thanks I will try that out:05.18-flustered:

Derek is right, it is some sort of ring light. I´ve googled her instagram account and looked at a few other images. That light source doesn´t seem to be a classic ring light though, because there is some discontinuity (see the reflection in the eye) and not the classic continous ring, nor like those macro ringlights. However, it has to be some shoot-through sollution because you can´t see the photographer in the eye, nor a tripod.
It might even be continuous light, because the pupil is pretty small. But then again they could have used the modeling light as focussing aid.
Do you have a flash of some sort? There are adapters for speedlights - in such a close distance, I don´t think it will make much of a difference.

I too think it is pretty heavily cropped. There is just too much depth. If your goal is a small image like that, you could easily work with your 55mm - and you can even stop it down to f22 - these images don´t look extremely sharp so the sharpness you lose when closing the aperture to its maximum isn´t very relevant.
Following Derrels bracketing idea I would place my models head on a wall so that the head can´t move forward/backwards and your camera on a tripod. That will give you the most consistent results.

Derek is right, .

Jeeze, everyone seems to want to take a trip down the misspell Derrel's name highway this week. This is getting too funny to say the least. :biglaugh:

Yeah 911, would you please start another ambulance this way. Seems we are having a rash of accidents and I suspect that someone's about to open a can of whoop@$$ real quick. Might just as well be prepared. If you can send pixmedic to the scene. He's familiar with the whole situation.

Derek is right, .

Jeeze, everyone seems to want to take a trip down the misspell Derrel's name highway this week. This is getting too funny to say the least. :biglaugh:

Yeah 911, would you please start another ambulance this way. Seems we are having a rash of accidents and I suspect that someone's about to open a can of whoop@$$ real quick. Might just as well be prepared. If you can send pixmedic to the scene. He's familiar with the whole situation.
Derrel's brothers Darrel & Darryl knows how to spell his name properly.

Yeah well I'm just hoping that Derrel, Derrell, Darryl, Derek or who the hell ever he is today holds on for about an hour before he starts the @$$ whopping. I'm leaving for the grocery store in a minute and I want to be here when it starts. :D

Changing my name to Derek now! Gonna go with that spelling. There are eight different way to spell my first name, that I have seen over the years. But Derek? Pretty commonly spelled just that one way!

As to the ring light: at the bottom on the ring, at the 6 o'clock positiion,it seems there's a support ring or support band that blocks the catchlioght caused by the round circle where the light emanates from. There are a good MANY DIY ringlight solutions are on the web and YouTube as well, so it could be some home-brewed tube material, into which a flash is shot. Who knows. Paul C. Buff has the "Moon Unit" which is a large shoot-through type ringlight. Not very familiar with it though.

One thing a ringlight does is to create a very distinctive, almost shadow-free look...the shadows from textured things, and from facial features, are almost totally filled in; shadowing is very slight, very close-to-the-nose for example--the shadow is almost impossible to see, it's not angled down and to the side, or to the side, like a regular light modifier would do. RInglighting cretes flat lighting by causing simultaneous shadowing-and-filling; when a light comes from one direction, and has a corresponding, equal source point directly across from it, that's the light-and-fill-light balancing one another out.

Changing my name to Derek now! Gonna go with that spelling. There are eight different way to spell my first name, that I have seen over the years. But Derek? Pretty commonly spelled just that one way!

As to the ring light: at the bottom on the ring, at the 6 o'clock positiion,it seems there's a support ring or support band that blocks the catchlioght caused by the round circle where the light emanates from. There are a good MANY DIY ringlight solutions are on the web and YouTube as well, so it could be some home-brewed tube material, into which a flash is shot. Who knows. Paul C. Buff has the "Moon Unit" which is a large shoot-through type ringlight. Not very familiar with it though.

One thing a ringlight does is to create a very distinctive, almost shadow-free look...the shadows from textured things, and from facial features, are almost totally filled in; shadowing is very slight, very close-to-the-nose for example--the shadow is almost impossible to see, it's not angled down and to the side, or to the side, like a regular light modifier would do. RInglighting cretes flat lighting by causing simultaneous shadowing-and-filling; when a light comes from one direction, and has a corresponding, equal source point directly across from it, that's the light-and-fill-light balancing one another out.
Derick, :allteeth::biggrin-93::bouncingsmileys::biglaugh: I'm home from the grocery store just so's I could watch the fun and this is all you got? What happened? You used to be lots more fun when folks spelt your name wrong. Here I was just a waiting for you to go all John Cena on the miscreant.

FYI. Various spellings for Derek: Derek, Derick, Derrick, Derique, Darrek, Darrick, Darick, Dyrick, Deric. Daryk, Deryk, Darek, Darik, Derryc, Derric, Derryck

Pick a spelling folks, any spelling.

Last edited:
Soooooorrrrry Derrel :icon_hug:
I´d like to say it´s a typo. But how on earth did I manage to change two "l" into one "k"?:BangHead:

Most reactions

Back