Focus Magazine scam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotodude1550

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone out there bought ad space in Focus Magazine’s editions 19 or 20 ? I bought 2 every expensive ads and there is no word from the publisher as to when or if these will be published. One is supposed to be the Autumn issue. So, autumn is here and no sign of this magazine’s release. There has been some discussion in the past concerning David Spivak and his questionable business practices. I’m worried that he may have taken my money and disappeared. Any info ?

In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of scams targeting magazines and other publications. One such scam is the "Focus Magazine" scheme, in which scammers impersonate magazine editors and publishers in order to dupe victims into paying for bogus advertising contracts. The scammers typically contact potential victims via email or social media, and then send them official-looking documents that appear to be from a legitimate magazine. They may even go so far as to set up fake websites and social media accounts to make their scheme appear more convincing. If you are contacted by someone purporting to be from Focus Magazine, or any other publication, do not sign any contracts or agree to any terms without first doing your research. You can check with the Better Business Bureau or your local Consumer Protection Office to see if there are any complaints against the company. If you have already been scammed, you should contact your local law enforcement agency to report the crime.

Has anyone out there bought ad space in Focus Magazine’s editions 19 or 20 ? I bought 2 every expensive ads and there is no word from the publisher as to when or if these will be published. One is supposed to be the Autumn issue. So, autumn is here and no sign of this magazine’s release. There has been some discussion in the past concerning David Spivak and his questionable business practices. I’m worried that he may have taken my money and disappeared. Any info ?
Hopefully, when you bought your ads you initially contacted the magazine, and did not answer an advertisement.

This is an old thread but I’m going to give the info I have.

Davis is or at least was legit. I’m retired now but was a commercial photographer for 55 years and branches out in the art end of photography. Probably 15 or possibly more, David called me soliciting his new magazine, Focus Magazine. I had a very successful commercial business and quite successful in upper end art galleries but wanted to expand my art sales. It’s been so long I can’t remember what I paid but purchased the package. It was costly but I picked up a very high end New York gallery and rep. The gallery was owned by the rep and due to rent skyrocketing in Manhattan he shut that location down and moved to an appointment only location.

I’m in 6 high end galleries in the east and my NY rep has probably sold as much as all the others put together. He and my Atlanta gallery have gotten many large commissions not only in the US but many other countries including some very large corporate sales.

The catch, if you do the same old stuff everyone else does no o e will even look at your work. You have to produce unique and original work better than everyone else or you will be wasting your money.

Macro shots of flowers, patterns of light, cars, landscapes and the like are everywhere. The industry is flooded with this stuff. You work must be way above the rest and unique.

I bought the package, David put my work out there and it was noticed by the right people. How many others scored a win, no idea but David did what he said he’d do.

David called me a couple years ago to see if I was interested in another package but I declined because I was as busy as I wanted to be and had all the galleries I could handle. I was in the retirement mode so I declined.

Now, I don’t know what he’s doing but I had an excellent experience.

Good luck!

This is an old thread but I’m going to give the info I have.

Davis is or at least was legit. I’m retired now but was a commercial photographer for 55 years and branches out in the art end of photography. Probably 15 or possibly more, David called me soliciting his new magazine, Focus Magazine. I had a very successful commercial business and quite successful in upper end art galleries but wanted to expand my art sales. It’s been so long I can’t remember what I paid but purchased the package. It was costly but I picked up a very high end New York gallery and rep. The gallery was owned by the rep and due to rent skyrocketing in Manhattan he shut that location down and moved to an appointment only location.

I’m in 6 high end galleries in the east and my NY rep has probably sold as much as all the others put together. He and my Atlanta gallery have gotten many large commissions not only in the US but many other countries including some very large corporate sales.

The catch, if you do the same old stuff everyone else does no o e will even look at your work. You have to produce unique and original work better than everyone else or you will be wasting your money.

Macro shots of flowers, patterns of light, cars, landscapes and the like are everywhere. The industry is flooded with this stuff. You work must be way above the rest and unique.

I bought the package, David put my work out there and it was noticed by the right people. How many others scored a win, no idea but David did what he said he’d do.

David called me a couple years ago to see if I was interested in another package but I declined because I was as busy as I wanted to be and had all the galleries I could handle. I was in the retirement mode so I declined.

Now, I don’t know what he’s doing but I had an excellent experience.

Good luck!
I’m going to allow this but please, don’t create any more zombies: they will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back