Focus on self photography

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I want to take a picture of my self using a tripod and a remote, how do I make the camera to auto focus on me? What AF setting do I need? It seems that I have to have it focused first when I take the shot. Kinda hard to do it when I am the subject.

AF-S single focus, pre-set the focus point that is closest to where your eye(s) will be. Better yet, set the shot up fat, and make sure your eye is on the center cross-type focus point.

The above advise is good.

Another thing that's worked well for me (it's how I shot the picture in my avatar, actually) in the past is AF and just put your eye right on the AF sensor.

At the range I shot <----that at, I could actually see the AF point in the viewfinder by looking through the lens.I just lined my eye up with the center one.

Shooting tethered helps too, if it's an option for the particular shot you're trying to do. If you miss the focus, you know it right away and can make whatever adjustments need to be made.

Uh, I don't take self-portraits that seriously in terms of focus... Probably a mistake on my part but whatever... But I get my mother to stand where I'll be, focus, and then mark the spot on the ground, lmao. Quick and easy way to do it. :p

I just use a dummy focus point...., takes some setting up... but works. I used a broomstick, Focus up on the handle of it (I don't use autofocus),.. set the self timer on my Canon Av-1 and then went and posed with the broom stick touching my nose, push the broom away in time for the camera to shoot the picture. Bobs your uncle and Fannie's your Aunt - self portrait:
6512fda1fd4ee7c46cc3d77e5af07b59.jpg

The reason I asked because I was having a hard time with this shot.

36473_1502924337801_1375002279_31371356_5960554_n.jpg

How come I can't levitate...maybe I am not in touch with my inner self! Maybe your floating around too much when you take the shot. Better get your breathing under control!

You have 2 options:
You cant eat for 2 weeks, OR you can learn photoshop and taking picture with a tripod :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back