Focus point for sharp eyes, 2 person portrait?

Last question, to focus on something in particular I compose the shot and the choose the focus point manually- the one closest to the subjects eyes. Is this the correct method? I haven't read a lot on focus, just played with it on my own.
Your T3i has 9 AF points, but only the center AF point is a cross type focus point. Cross-type focus points are more accurate than single axis focus points because cross-type AF points can detect edge contrast both vertically and horizontally. Your T3i's center focus point also has increased sensitivity (vertical line) when used with a lens that can open to f/2.8 or a larger lens aperture (like f/1.4).

From the T3i specifications-
AF Points
9 points (Center AF point is cross-type, vertical-line sensitive at f/2.8.)
The other 8 AF points will be oriented so some of them detect horizontal edge contrast, and some will detect vertical edge contrast.

You should also note that AF points generally become less accurate if the lens maximum aperture is f/5.6 or smaller (f/8, f/11, etc)

So for critical focus you want to use the center focus point, lock focus, and then re-compose.

Here is some additional information - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-autofocus.htm

Last edited:
Last question, to focus on something in particular I compose the shot and the choose the focus point manually- the one closest to the subjects eyes. Is this the correct method? I haven't read a lot on focus, just played with it on my own.
Your T3i has 9 AF points, but only the center AF point is a cross type focus point. Cross-type focus points are more accurate than single axis focus points because cross-type AF points can detect edge contrast both vertically and horizontally. Your T3i's center focus point also has increased sensitivity (vertical line) when used with a lens that can open to f/2.8 or a larger lens aperture (like f/1.4).

AF Points
The other 8 AF points will be oriented so some of them detect horizontal edge contrast, and some will detect vertical edge contrast.

You should also note that AF points generally become less accurate if the lens maximum aperture is f/5.6 or smaller (f/8, f/11, etc)

So for critical focus you want to use the center focus point, lock focus, and then re-compose.

Here is some additional information - Understanding Camera Autofocus
Okay so focus using the center point, hold shutter half way until focus is achieved and then recompose? I thought the focus lock was the star ( * ) button on the top-right of the camera?

Thanks so much for this information, I think this is going to help me tremendously!! I found my shots taking a long time because I was adjusting the focus points for every shot setup.

I am not sure how well the T3i handles ISO that high if the OP is planning on printing any of these.
It does great at high iso. Just as long as you properly expose the image. I frequently max out the iso on my t3i
Do you take it to 12800?

it goes to 6400 but yes I do it almost every day.

a recent one:
iso 6400; ss 1/200; f2.8
IMG_2906.jpg

AF Points

Here is some additional information - Understanding Camera Autofocus
Thanks so much for this information, I think this is going to help me tremendously!! I found my shots taking a long time because I was adjusting the focus points for every shot setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back