focus problem. need some help/ c&c my photo please

ewick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I cant get a nice crisp image of my puppy. any suggestions? please feel free to c&c on the editing as well. any and all help is appreciated.

6858498937_919e25b815.jpg
[/URL] nala by pop-a-dot, on Flickr[/IMG]

What sharpening steps/techniques/filters did you use?

The filters where not really the problem. I was unable to get a strong focus point when I was shooting. I did use photoshop and smart sharpen at 1 radius and 60% sharpening. any higher than that and it would start looking over sharpened. any suggestions on what focus settings i should use when i shoot pets? I used continous focus but didnt get the results I was looking for.

How fast was it jumping/moving? 1/200 can stop some movement, but a puppy can jolt pretty quick.

It helps to add the exif data-
Nikon D90
0.005 sec (1/200)
f/8.0
35 mm

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed

Did you get any others on different settings?

The filters where not really the problem.

Be careful what you discount initially, it often might turn out to be the problem. As for your comments on not picking up an AF point quickly, that could also potentially be caused by filters.

How fast was it jumping/moving? 1/200 can stop some movement, but a puppy can jolt pretty quick.

it wasnt jumping. She stood up to try and get a treat. I was on continous-servo. the manual states thats the most effective setting for a moving subject, but her belly is in full focus instead of her face. I was at 200 and f-8.

The filters where not really the problem.

Be careful what you discount initially, it often might turn out to be the problem. As for your comments on not picking up an AF point quickly, that could also potentially be caused by filters.

I dont think I understand what you are saying. I didnt use a filter on my camera. I thought KmH meant filter on the editing process.

It helps to add the exif data-
Nikon D90
0.005 sec (1/200)
f/8.0
35 mm

Did you get any others on different settings?

Nikon D90
0.005 sec (1/200)
f/8.0
35 mm

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed
I did not try different settings. its hard to determine the focus based on the camera screen.

ewick said:
Nikon D90
0.005 sec (1/200)
f/8.0
35 mm

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed
I did not try different settings. its hard to determine the focus based on the camera screen.

Did you use just one focal point?

ewick said:
Nikon D90
0.005 sec (1/200)
f/8.0
35 mm

Did you use just one focal point?

yes, the center one. I would aim it at her face and hold it down half way and follow her until i pressed it all the way down. Does it look a bit soft in the face to you? .

Most reactions

Back