Focus stacking macro.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend was given this knife and thought it would be fun for us to photograph in a product setting. I agreed with him and we both focus stacked this one. I think it turned out pretty well. It was made out of a farrier's rasp.

Dover-product-48-Edit.jpg

Cool knife, and great job. Ron have you ever tried cross polarized lighting? I think you might find it interesting on shiny objects.

Cool knife, and great job. Ron have you ever tried cross polarized lighting? I think you might find it interesting on shiny objects.

No, I've never heard of it but I will do some research on it. We used 2 lights and three "reflectors" on this.

No, I've never heard of it but I will do some research on it. We used 2 lights and three "reflectors" on this.

Cross polarized lighting involves putting a linear polarizing film https://www.amazon.com/Polarization...eywords=polarizing+film&qid=1606881155&sr=8-4 on your flash and a circular polarizing filter on your camera. As you rotate the CP you cancel out reflections, giving you super fine details. It's used a lot in macro and dental photography.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That seems to have worked out very well indeed. It has also retained a decent amount of dof front and rear adding depth to the overall frame.

I knew what a farriers rasp was without having to 'Google' it:allteeth:.

Out of interest, how many frames in the stack?

@ronlane I was tired last night and couldn't find this link. Taming those Annoying Highlights: Cross-Polarization Flash Macro Photography This a dual flash setup for a macro shot, very similar to what you'll see in dental photography. You can really see the difference in specular highlights. While this is a dual setup, it can be done with a single light also. In fact it's a little easier because you don't have the problem of keeping the the lights parallel.

That seems to have worked out very well indeed. It has also retained a decent amount of dof front and rear adding depth to the overall frame.

Thank you. You get points for knowing that without googling it, lol. It was 15 shots for the stack.

@ronlane I was tired last night and couldn't find this link. Taming those Annoying Highlights: Cross-Polarization Flash Macro Photography This a dual flash setup for a macro shot, very similar to what you'll see in dental photography. You can really see the difference in specular highlights. While this is a dual setup, it can be done with a single light also. In fact it's a little easier because you don't have the problem of keeping the the lights parallel.

Thank you. I looked on YouTube last night as well and watched a couple of video's on it. This is something that I am going to have to try out.

Thank you. You get points for knowing that without googling it, lol. It was 15 shots for the stack.

Thank you. I looked on YouTube last night as well and watched a couple of video's on it. This is something that I am going to have to try out.

Cheers for the reply. 15 that's impressive.

And extra points because he didn't have to kill it to get the stacks. ;)

Real nice image and cool looking knife. Any idea on what kind of steel use for the blade? Does it sharpen well?

And extra points because he didn't have to kill it to get the stacks. ;)

Absolutely. That's always a bonus.

Most reactions

Back