focusing for large groups

kellbell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i went to school for photography and in three years, we never talked about this... i'm not even sure if this should be in the beginners category but someone please help!! Every time i take large group photos (10-30 people) i have trouble getting the group in sharp focus. what could be the problem? am i using the wrong lens? are my eyes bad and i just don't know how to focus that far away? what is a good apperture setting? i would think the higher the better but that doesn't seem to help... any advice would be appreciated!

I'm using a canon 20-35mm lens and the last group shot i did i shot at f29 (that's the highest it would go) I'm not sure how to add images on here so sorry there is no example but the people just aren't as crisp as i would like.

Welcome to the forum.

There could be any number of things going wrong...an example would help (with shooting info).

A smaller aperture will increase the DOF, so it's better to use a smaller aperture for bigger groups. As to where to focus, the DOF will extend 1/3 back toward you and 2/3 away from you...starting at the point you are focused on. I would usually focus on the nearest person and use an aperture to give enough DOF to encompass the group. If your DOF is limited, the you would have to focus 1/3 of the way into the group to maximize you use of the DOF.

It might be camera shake or subject movement. It might be that the lens is soft at the sides or corners...etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back