Focusing question

joel28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a Nikon D5100, When I press the shutter button half way, the red light(s) in the viewfinder shows me where the camera is focusing.

How do i control this?

lets say i want the focus should be on the center....

joel28 said:
Hi,

I have a Nikon D5100, When I press the shutter button half way, the red light(s) in the viewfinder shows me where the camera is focusing.

How do i control this?

The manual will explain all the different focusing modes and focusing area modes. It probably came on a CD.

But press info on the LCD and scroll down. You'll want to change af-a to af-c or af-s. Then you'll have to change the AF area mode to single point I believe. You should be able to find that by pressing info too.

Once it's in single point you will be able to use the directional pad to toggle the focus points and choose the one you want. Much more accurate then the camera choosing where to focus.

joel28 said:
Hi,

How do i control this?

The manual will explain all the different focusing modes and focusing area modes. It probably came on a CD.

But press info on the LCD and scroll down. You'll want to change af-a to af-c or af-s. Then you'll have to change the AF area mode to single point I believe. You should be able to find that by pressing info too.

Once it's in single point you will be able to use the directional pad to toggle the focus points and choose the one you want. Much more accurate then the camera choosing where to focus.

^^^THIS^^^

i also have a D5100 and all you need to do is change the AF mode. ***NOT*** the AF-c or AF-s setting but the other one.

The 'AF mode' is AF-C, AF-S etc.
What you want is called the 'AF Area Mode'..and choose single point.

Once you have done that, you should be able to use the directional thumb pad to choose which AF point you want to use.

My girlfriend had a Nikon D40, and the focus point used to change all the time. We both hated it. Now she's gone to Canon and she loves it...

The focus point changing is called (I think) 'Auto Area Mode'...or on a Canon, it's called Auto Point Selection.

I don't like it with any type of camera, because the camera itself is trying to decide where it should focus. I don't like my camera to be making decisions like that. That's why (after teaching them the difference), I encourage my students to use manual (single point) point selection.

Of course, there are situations where other modes would come in handy, so it's good to understand the difference and know when to change it.

Though it's also possible a camera can have an electronic fault that can be repaired.

Of course the D40 only has 3 focus points.

its still not working for me....

Can someone be so kind and guide me how to set the camera's focus point should always be in center, instead of the camera deciding for me?

Thanks a lot!

joel28 said:

Can someone be so kind and guide me how to set the camera's focus point should always be in center, instead of the camera deciding for me?

Thanks a lot!

You know on the LCD how it has that column on the right side?
So turn the camera on and on the LCD you will see a bunch of info. Press INFO (the I button on right side of viewfinder next to the green dot). This will highlight the column on the right side.
Scroll down - it is the 6th block down from the top. The box above the one you want will probably say AF-A. The box you want will probably have a filled in rectangular shape. Click OK once this is highlighted. This is the AF area mode. It will probably be set to auto-area AF. change it to single point AF.

joel28 said:

Thanks a lot!

Not the best photo but the area you want is highlighted

Attachments

• $image-763254691.jpg
    $image-763254691.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 136

Most reactions

New Topics

Back