Focusing question

Golfcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What focus settings do you guys use while photographing moving subjects? I shot a graduation ceremony and on some of them my focus is off just a hair. It wasn't a slow shutter issue. I was on continuous focus and 3d tracking and sometimes it would focus off my target. Is there a way to get it 100% in focus every time?

Thanks.

In continuous focus mode, no, there is no way to get 100% in focus all the time.

DSLR cameras Nikon currently offer use 3 auto focus modules.

Two are entry-level AF modules and the 3rd is their prosumer and pro grade camera AF module.

The 2 entry-level AF modules have 1 and 9 cross-type AF points, while the top grade AF module has 15 cross-type points.

Consequently, there are some differences in capabilities.

You may want to explore the benefits of using 'back button' focusing, whereby the half-press of the shutter release to activate the auto focus function is deleted from the shutter release, and moved to a button on the back of the camera.

I've moved my focus button to back before. But how would this help me? Sorry a little confused.

I'm using the D7000 so not sure about the focus modules you were talking about. Il do some research. :)

Thanks!

I know nothing of Nikons, but I do know on my Canons that if I use continuous AF it's never quite as sharp as one shot. Unless the subject is moving really fast (aircraft or closeup people sprinting) I leave it in one shot and just make sure I snap the shot as quickly as possible after it's in focus.

scorpion_tyr said:
I know nothing of Nikons, but I do know on my Canons that if I use continuous AF it's never quite as sharp as one shot. Unless the subject is moving really fast (aircraft or closeup people sprinting) I leave it in one shot and just make sure I snap the shot as quickly as possible after it's in focus.

I use AI Servo on my old canon 5D 100% of the time and still get sharp photos. Doesn't matter if the subject is moving or not. I also use back button focus as well.

What does the back button focus button benefit you? I know it moves the focus from the shutter button to the back of camera, but why is that imortant?

It isolates the focus function, and it makes actuating the AF function somewhat more positive than a half-press of the shutter release button.

Last edited:
How fast were the people moving at the ceremony? I use AF-C, 9pt. on my D7000 to shoot basketball, and it works great! If you are set to AF-A, then you are allowing the camera to pick your focus point.

I've always used AF-S with pretty consistant results while shooting bands running back and forth across stage. You've just got to be quick, focus, shutter. If you delay at all you've missed it.

1hawaii50 said:
How fast were the people moving at the ceremony? I use AF-C, 9pt. on my D7000 to shoot basketball, and it works great! If you are set to AF-A, then you are allowing the camera to pick your focus point.

Af-a doesn't actually choose your focus point. Af-a choose between af-s and af-c. Auto area mode chooses the focus points.

Personally I use single-shot mode all the time and try to get the shutter released asap after the beep-beep. AND I shoot more than 1 image of a subject. This way I get my wanted images and have no oof issues... the bad ones, I just throw them away. That's my way... just have a big memory card. :D

Continuous autofocus isn't really accurate at all for me... it really just ****s the autofocus up and if you're not on single-point AF... you're screwed already the moment you switched to continous mode... and that's the bloody truth.

1hawaii50 said:

Af-a doesn't actually choose your focus point. Af-a choose between af-s and af-c. Auto area mode chooses the focus points.

My apologies Megan...I meant to say that AF-A lets the camera choose the focus mode that it thinks is the best. I shoot everything in AF-C, and I have no issues with focus tracking. Also, make sure that your custom menu "A3" setting is set to "off".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back