Foggy Morning for C&C

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this a few weeks ago before work here in Kentucky around 9am. Used a Canon 5d classic 17-40mm f/4L in manual mode and edited in LR4. Taken at 17mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/40 sec on a tripod (crappy one). I was trying to capture the peaceful isolated atmosphere as well as the textures of the grass, leaves in the water, fog and the boat. Please give me you C&C on this image.

$web.jpg

Your composition is great with the mysterious fog, boat and grass elements, but I'm wondering if you added a graduated neutral density filter if that would help with the bright exposure of the sky and fog?

However, if you would underexpose without a filter, the fog might turn gray...

I'm not going to critique, I will say that I love this shot though :)

Thank you.

Your composition is great with the mysterious fog, boat and grass elements, but I'm wondering if you added a graduated neutral density filter if that would help with the bright exposure of the sky and fog?

However, if you would underexpose without a filter, the fog might turn gray...

Thank you for the compliment on the composition. I see that the fog is bright, but what would you want to accomplish with a grad ND filter?

I just thought it might bring out some more background detail and reduce the brightness. I did an edit in PS with Color Efex using the Graduated ND filter:

$web2.jpg

I love the idea, but in my inexperienced POV, there are a few changes I would have made.
I feel (note - feel. Not - know) it needs to be desaturated, slightly underexposed and drop the clarity slider a bit to give it a little more of a softer, foggy, ethereal look.
I would also crop it as more of a panorama, you don't need as much of the empty sky or grass.
My last recommendation would have been to leave more space on the right side of the dock. it feels like it's too cramped.
Just remember, these are just my opinions.

EDIT: My wife prefers the original lol.

Attachments

• $web2 - mine.jpg
    $web2 - mine.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 229
I just thought it might bring out some more background detail and reduce the brightness. I did an edit in PS with Color Efex using the Graduated ND filter:

View attachment 24511

I had played with it like this a little bit, but I liked the thickness of the fog. I felt it portrayed how it was more and kept the eye more on the subject. Maybe I am wrong I dunno. Thank you for your edit. It is certainly something I will consider more.

I love the idea, but in my inexperienced POV, there are a few changes I would have made.
I feel (note - feel. Not - know) it needs to be desaturated, slightly underexposed and drop the clarity slider a bit to give it a little more of a softer, foggy, ethereal look.
I would also crop it as more of a panorama, you don't need as much of the empty sky or grass.
My last recommendation would have been to leave more space on the right side of the dock. it feels like it's too cramped.
Just remember, these are just my opinions.

EDIT: My wife prefers the original lol.

Thank you I appreciate your feedback and edit. As for the space on the right there is a house up there on the right and would be visible if went any more to the right. Also, several cars were in the driveway etc just looked bad.

I think it's nice. Yes maybe a little bright and playing with different editing might not hurt, but I do like the composition and what you captured overall.

I had played with it like this a little bit, but I liked the thickness of the fog. I felt it portrayed how it was more and kept the eye more on the subject. Maybe I am wrong I dunno. Thank you for your edit. It is certainly something I will consider more.

I agree with you; I did a subtle edit and I could have revealed more of the trees and background, but I knew your boat would lose interest then. To counter that, I did more contrast and color to your boat.

I really like Tight Knot's edit. I agree that the original seems a bit overexposed. I probably would have tilted down a bit more to get less white sky and more grass, which has great texture, color, and points into the image. I may have tried getting just a touch lower, but not so low that the boat is covering the base of that tree behind it. Solid shot though. With some work, definitely a hanger.

Ok took some advice and did another edit. Added in a grad filter on the sky, lowered the exposure on the leaves in the water as well and a little bit on the boat. I liked the exposure on the grass and left it alone. Tell me what you think.

$web2.jpg

I think it's nice. Yes maybe a little bright and playing with different editing might not hurt, but I do like the composition and what you captured overall.

Thank you. I updated the edit with some of your thoughts in mind as well as others.

I really like Tight Knot's edit. I agree that the original seems a bit overexposed. I probably would have tilted down a bit more to get less white sky and more grass, which has great texture, color, and points into the image. I may have tried getting just a touch lower, but not so low that the boat is covering the base of that tree behind it. Solid shot though. With some work, definitely a hanger.

Thanks for your input, let me know what you think of the 2nd edit. I think you are right that tilting it down more may have helped some. If I remember correctly it was already pretty significantly tilted down and was worried about getting the horizon too close to the edge to avoid too much distortion. I also kinda like the hazy fog at the top, and it gave some negative space. The texture in the grass is what I like most about the image too.

TK's edit was a bit too desaturated for the foggy scene and became flat.

Your final edit looks like a hybrid of my edit and TK's, and I think it's just right. Now print it and hang it. ;)

Most reactions

Back