Foggy Morning

I like where you are trying to go with these with the steam/fog on the water. However, they are fairly boring. There are no interesting colors such as some yellow or reds from a rising sun or vibrant greens from the trees. Also the sky is fairly plain as well. Maybe try a b&w conversion since there is not much color anyways.

#1 and #3 are fantastic; in such images there must be lot of empty space to convey the feeling of space and timelessness. Bringing the shrubs in close up remove such feeling..that is why i preferred #1 and #3Regards :D

I really like that last one! The whites really make it pop. The first 2 are a little muddy, even for fog :D

Early morning fog shots are not the easiest thing to shoot. For starters the sun is low, and is partly to mostly blocked out by the fog. Thus any vivid colors are all muted, and the pictures tend to be just a few subtle tones. As Frequency said, fog is all about relationship of large areas of space and emptiness. Up close and personal as in photo 2 becomes just a picture of a small island. Pictures 1 & 3 each convey a different feeling. I viewed both on you Flickr page as the larger picture format makes for a much stronger presentation. Picture 1 is by far my favorite. The three separate elements of sky, fog, and land all work well together, and are all about the same proportion to the whole.

Very nice - as everyone said.
You might think of a different aspect for the last one.
Everything in the picture is long lateral lines, you might try a pano-style crop to make the shape of the picture emphasize the lines and remove some of the extra sky (which is just undetailed blue)

6869385345ca502e9666bll.jpg

Thanks for all the comments.

Everything in the picture is long lateral lines, you might try a pano-style crop to make the shape of the picture emphasize the lines and remove some of the extra sky (which is just undetailed blue)
I never thought of that. It looks much better like that. Thanks.

My initial reaction surprised me, because I usually prefer tight scenes rather than long view landscapes. Joel W.'s comment helped me understand why I prefer your first image over the closer view of the island. Adding that nice color of blue in the sky helps complete the story of the image, morning mist or fog over the lake waters. In the second image, the island becomes more of the focus than the fog which just appears as a gray mass over the trees. When we see the patch of sky we see more of a complete scene.

With the third image the background is just too distance. It is hard for me to understand white the white really is. Traveler's rendition is much better. I, too, think you could crop out almost all of the sky. It would make the clouds stand out even more.

Overall, I find each to be a successful composition

Most reactions

Back