Follow up to Cycling Event 1

squirrels

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In follow up to http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/337802-cycling-photography.html#post3040082, THANK YOU! I did okay and had a great time!

I picked up my rental glass 70-200 F2.8 ED VR 2 days in advance and shot nonstop up to the event to get a feel for it (cars, fast moving children, soccer practice, a big picnic birthday party!). The ride went really well! I'd talked to my boss for the day well in advance so I knew she knew what to expect from me. I had the best time ever shooting backwards out of the sunroof. It was definitely a lot of calm interrupted by whirlwinds of activity! Next time I'll bring sunblock. And a detailed map!

I need to work on my post processing skills, and I hate Rawtherapee for crashing every 5 minutes. LR is on the way in the mail. The pavement was just a big reflective mess, and advice on improving the processing front would be great. A couple more are on flickr if you are curious. Flickr: cmw8rus' Photostream

Anyway here are three of my better shots, please C&C:

2013 190

2013 289

And here are some of my favorite starting line shots, just for fun but you are welcome to C&C these too if you are feeling like it:mrgreen::

2013 144

2013 130

2013 155

Not bad at all! The last three seem a little under-exposed (Lightroom can help you there), and I wish you'd shot #3 as a portrait; that would have been the money shot, but regardless, well done!

I'd say you got some really good shots here. Well done

They all look really good. Number 3 is my favorite! :D

Not bad at all! The last three seem a little under-exposed (Lightroom can help you there), and I wish you'd shot #3 as a portrait; that would have been the money shot, but regardless, well done!

Thanks so much! I get to do the whole thing again this weekend (different event) so hopefully I can show some improvement. I had a lot of shots that would have benefited from portrait orientation. Reviewing my shots, it looks like I was often defaulting to horizontal with subject near the right hand third. And for a single rider in the frame, I just don't think it worked. So there's all that cropping.

I had a flash with me, but no iTTL. I think I could have utilized it better in more shots.

I'd say you got some really good shots here. Well done

They all look really good. Number 3 is my favorite! :D

Thanks you guys! All in all it was a great experience!

I had a lot of shots that would have benefited from portrait orientation. Reviewing my shots, it looks like I was often defaulting to horizontal with subject near the right hand third. And for a single rider in the frame, I just don't think it worked. So there's all that cropping.

You hit it right on the button. Cycling is relatively boring photographically (for me to shoot) unless the scenery is great and you can get some pix of the cyclists embedded in the beautiful surroundings. Another way to imply excitement and action is close cropping

9722229137_b8e77bc7fe_cllll.jpg~original

And to provide some guidance for the viewer, one can lower the brightness and contrast of everything but the main center of interest and sharpen only that COI.

9725470372_0e9d1c333d_cllllll.jpg~original

Thanks, Lew. That helps! It was exciting for me, photographically and overall.:mrgreen:

I got to spend the day hanging out with and learning from a very experienced cycling photographer and cool friend.

Plus after chatting with the riders during their prerace photos I felt really invested in each of them and wanted to cheer them on and get a great shot of every one. Even processing, I'm smiling to myself thinking "You go, orange shirt guy!" and "Whoa! Anniversary husband and wife are looking tough in every shot!" (except for when rawtherapee is crumping).

Of course, I have the "Don't miss the shot. Don't miss the shot. Don't miss the shot." adrenaline rush, while you have probably moved way past into some kind of photographic zen thing.

Of course, I have the "Don't miss the shot. Don't miss the shot. Don't miss the shot." adrenaline rush, while you have probably moved way past into some kind of photographic zen thing.

That's the advantage of criterium racing, another 2 minutes and they'll be around again.
With a short course, I shoot at the start and then walk the course, shooting at curves or corners as they go around and plan to end up at the finish to shoot the sprint.

TBH, the races, and the riders, all look about the same and I only go to support my son-in-law and grandson when they race.

TBVH, I don't think I've ever taken a really good cycling picture, some OK ones but not any real stunners..
I put some on the web if you want to see Lew Lorton Photography | Cycles

In general with sports I think it's a lot about knowing the sport/event and the timing. You seem to have gotten some nice shots, I'd think about the framing so you're not cutting people off at odd places and try to keep the entire rider/bike in the photo (unless it's a more close up/portrait shot).

I've found that sometimes there can be more time than you'd think, I've found it's possible to get a few shots during a sequence of play during a game. I think it just takes a lot of practice. Like Lew said if you can anticipate where and when something will happen next that can help you get the shot.

As ghoulish as it seems, I've tried waiting at a big curve after a straightaway, just in case there was a crash but I have never caught one.
Unless a bunch of guys go down, crashes happen so damn fast.
Cat 1/Pro riders are doing 20-25 on a straightaway and they are around a corner in a flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back