What's new

Food coloring and water fun c&c welcome

WOW!!!

Great Work!

Strobe or all shutter for the frozen action?
 
WOW!!!

Great Work!

Strobe or all shutter for the frozen action?

Thanks. I hung a baggie of the same food colored water over a bowl on my kitchen table. Poked a small hole in it with a toothpick. Used one of my studio lights and a white board in the background as a reflector. Had the light pointing at the white board, not the water. And yep....maxed out my shutter speed to get these. Amazing what the human eye cannot see. Someone told me they tried this with strawberry milk.....I don't see how that would have had the shimmer this did.
 
I love these. I did some experimenting with water in my kitchen as an activity to practice while it was raining out. My outcome was not so great - I only had one where I actually caught the splash. I don't have a speedlight though, and the D5100 won't burst when using the on-camera flash so the challenge/guide I was using didn't work for me. Do you have recommendations for how to achieve effects like this using a different method than the one I found? I have cheap lights and reflectors. Did you use a flash at all or only the studio light? (I hope this wasn't hijacking a thread. Your pictures inspired me to try it again.) :)
 
To increase fun try using milk instead of just water. Milk and food colourings can create some interesting effects - esp when you mix the colours up!
 
To increase fun try using milk instead of just water. Milk and food colourings can create some interesting effects - esp when you mix the colours up!
I actually mentioned this above, had a friend who said he tried this with strawberry milk. I was wondering if it would take about the "shimmer." I will have to try it. Attached was my set up on the first one (to the people who had asked) I did with a small black bowl, did the same thing again with food coloring. I do not have a speedlite yet either...not made of money for sure. Have to get camera equipment little at a time. Here was the original set-up, just changed bowls and used food coloring the 2nd time. I had a continuous light pointing at the white board as a reflector, but not pointing at the water itself. Aperture was f8, ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/250. Here is the snapshot of the set up:

$setup.webp
 
Very nice. Would you mind sharing exposures?

Aperture was f8, ISO100 and SS 1/250. I posted above a snapshot of my set up the first time I did it with clear water.

Thank you. As always, I like your work and concepts (and name, I might add). I think I will give this try this weekend.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom