What's new

Food Photography

DougGrigg

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
297
Reaction score
66
Location
London & Devon (England)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guinness Cakes From Cookbook "Friendship, Love, Pleasure"

C & C encouraged

$guinnesscake1 (1 of 1).webp

The more I look at this image the more I feel is wrong with it.. What do you guys think? As I cant identify what is wrong with my photo
 
Waaaaay too much real estate along the bottom. I would crop it differently so as to include more of the bottle.

I would also think about losing the black tile, and maybe going with a slightly different color dish...
 
One can't really say what's "wrong" with it without knowing exactly what your vision was, but some of things that bother me are the cropped bottle (Heck, Guinness in a bottle bothers me; if it doesn't come out of a tap, it's not real Guinness!), the low perspective, the blank background, and the fact that it appears to be slghtly under-exposed.

I get the feeling that this was intended to be a rather 'high-brow' arsty sort of food shot, which seems completely at odds with my understanding of the book in question.

Given that the cake looks like a dark chocolate cupcake, it's very hard to link the Guinness to it effectively. What I see is a serving-suggestion image where you're recommending an iced cupcake and a bottle of stout; both good, but not neccessarily in combination. I think for this, you need to show both the finished product and the preparation; say someone pouring the Guinness into a mixing bowl with a batch of fresh cakes cooling in the background. This is a tough one...
 
Waaaaay too much real estate along the bottom. I would crop it differently so as to include more of the bottle.

I would also think about losing the black tile, and maybe going with a slightly different color dish...


Noted. cheers man
 
(Heck, Guinness in a bottle bothers me; if it doesn't come out of a tap, it's not real Guinness!),
Amen!

Given that the cake looks like a dark chocolate cupcake,
Wierdly enough, the mixture of the cupcakes is actually mixed with half a pint of guiness which creates the darkness of the cake,

Cheers for your feedback dude, notes have been taken!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom