Food Photos - Can't Focus on the "Front" Chicken Nuggets

I must have been 2-3 feet away. Not too far.

Remember that the minimum focusing distance with your lens is 45cm, so a source of problems can be being too close more than too far. However, I agree with e.rose: you are simply focusing in the wrong place.

The other way around is .. eat the nuggets starting from the back row until all nuggets appear to be in focus.

Can you not manual focus with that lens? That would save screwing about with auto-focus points.

Same thing I was thinking, Ron. Especially if you have a tripod to use. Heck, even if you don't have a tripod you can use MF as long as you're steady enough.

A couple of points:

Your main problem is the focal length of the lens you are trying to use. You need to use a longer focal length.

People often forget that lens aperture is just 1 of 4 factors that affect DoF. Lens focal length, focus point distance, and focus point distance from the background also affect DoF.

Someone mentioned DoF being 1/3rd in front, and 1/3rd behind, but that only applies to short focal lengths. As focal length increases the distribution of DoF gets closer and closer to 50/50. At 50 mm it's very close to 50/50.

Here is a tutorial for the OP: Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

The easiest would be to go farther away, and then digital crop.

A couple of points:

Your main problem is the focal length of the lens you are trying to use. You need to use a longer focal length.

Keith, if you actually looked at the picture, you have seen that there is not a problem of DoF - it is adequately shallow, but in the "wrong" place. Most likely, the problem is that he/she is using automatic focus point selection, and focuses in the center, and/or that he is too close to focus on the closest nuggets.

I did actually look at the photo. It is a problem of DoF because the OP wants the foreground, and the mid-ground in focus, with the background OOF.

The OP does not understand DoF.

Most reactions

Back