Food shot - Would appreciate C&C

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempt at a food shot where I am staging more than a single plate or serving. Would love to hear what everyone thinks and/or what you would have done differently.

Thanks in advance.

p1471365276-4.jpg

It's done pretty well, but I would have rearranged the objects differently. For example, I would put the butter dish behind the cutting board, and I would put the wooden spoon on the opposite side of the wooden bowl but at the same angle.
I don't like the blue rag, and there's not enough of the bag and white dish to know what they are for them to give context to the image.

Makes me look through, then appreciate you made some great oatmeal. whats in that bag. The pic looks to busy. Would have been better IMHO in a 3 shot group.
Bulk goods. The ingredients, the finished oh so yummy bowl.

With this shot there are several things that are not working:

1 It has no mood, the lighting is high key all over

2 Your arrangement needs to be tighter, if you are going to show ingredients then keep them together and don't mix them up

3 Your POV is not leading me in to the main interest of the shot ....the cereal

I think with a little work you could tighten it up and swap out the blue towel for a warm tone that is keeping with the objects of the shot. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Had the spoon where you said until I put the white dish in. (It's an old milk pitcher I was using in lieu of anything that looks like milk). Burlap bag was part of my original thought - didn't know it had writing all over it, so moved it out of focus. Agree it adds nothing. Blue rag was to fill a little dead space I thought needed something and to add a little color. Like the butter dish idea.

Like I said, first pass, I'll probably restage next week. Really appreciate the thoughts.

Cross posted with the last two comments. To both, as I built the shot, I started with just the oatmeal and added one element at a time, so I do have some with less stuff and tighter composition. Definitely will lose the bag and pitcher. I have some with better lighting - I thought the wood table was too dark and over exposed before I finished. Also, looking at it here, it looks like it needs to be warmer.

This all definitely helps. I also appreciate a lot more the time and planning that goes into a shot like this.

Most reactions

Back