What's new

Food Shots. Your thoughts?

sj022698

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
This is the first to come in a series of a few. Let me know what you think and which one you like best if any at all?

I'm just starting but these pics are very important.
#1
Pesto2.jpg

#2
Pesto1.jpg

#3
Pesto.jpg


Thanks,
Justin
 
Well if you are making these photos for a cookbook then I would first off brush off the crumbs off the plate. Then I would not use peanuts to decorate your plate but maybe some sort of leaf (not sure parsly maybe?) Now you also don't want any extra food to hang over the bread either. Think of a Mcdonlds Ad....the food in their Ads don't look like the food you actually eat at Mcdonalds. The Ad's always look better.

Good Luck!!!
 
Of these I like the top one the best - the surface of the bread looks the most appealing. I'd be inclined to show more of the filling - it is too much in the shade or just hidden. I'm OK with the pine nuts, and the other garnish, but the plate itself is a bit of an optical illusion - the bright band looks like the edge of the plate at first glance, and the outer brown part of the plate looks like the table, then the garnish looks messy. Either swap the plate or re-light it, or don't put any garnish on the brown rim.

On second thoughts I think that I would reduce the number of pine nuts and bits of garnish, but that is something I would mess around with. I'd also be inclined to make sure that the bread surface was lit in a more lively way - slightly raking, and from the back to prevent any feeling of dullness. The top picture is nearly there in that respect, but once the bread is realigned to show the filling the light would have to move.

I hope that is of some use to you.
Best,
Helen
 
Peanuts? I thought they were beans. I do agree that they don't seem to have anything to do with the sandwhiches though. While I can see what you are doing (I think) the way you have everything on the plate makes it appear that someone just got up and didn't finish their lunch.

Without knowing what you were really going for though, it's hard to saw if anyone of them is better than the other. The bread does look well toasted though. :D

Mike
 
They are pine nuts which is one of the main ingredients on pesto which is the main ingredient of the sandwich. I have gotten some good thoughts so I'm going back to the drawing board.
 
Actually, if you really want to use pine nuts in the picture, put a pile of them intermixed with the garnish rather than spreading them sporadically around the plate. Personally, I'd rather see a small perfectly rounded mound of potato salad next to the sandwich. Or some strips of red bell pepper.....or something.

Just a thought. Buy a Bon Apetit magazine and get some ideas on food staging from there. They have gorgeous food pictures in that magazine. It may give you some extra ideas.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom