For all of you Professional Photographers

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really want to take photography from being a hobby to a carreer. Its something that I really want to do and everyone I know thinks I should do too.

I have a bit of a problem though. Im 22 and a full time Mechanical Engineer. There are no schools that I can commute to. So it would mean relocating jobs, finding a place to live, paying for school while going to school and a job full time. I have bills to pay so I cant afford to go a part time job.

So heres the question. Did you go to school to be a photographer? How necessary is it? And does anyone have any money they want to give me? :D

graig,

im currently in the courses at NYIP. However good this course might be(which i think it is), a friend once told me that its not the degree, its your personality. I agree with him. You have to face the fact that you will be "starving", you will be "poor" and you most likely will have to move. Im coming to grips with this reality myself. Just ask yourself what is the best route:

1) be broke and love waking up every morning to take pictures?

2) suffer through corporate america to have a small pension and a cheap gold watch and a kick out the door once your company is done with you?

bitter? yes i am.

hope this helps.

md

MDowdey said:
graig,

im currently in the courses at NYIP. However good this course might be(which i think it is), a friend once told me that its not the degree, its your personality. I agree with him. You have to face the fact that you will be "starving", you will be "poor" and you most likely will have to move. Im coming to grips with this reality myself. Just ask yourself what is the best route:

1) be broke and love waking up every morning to take pictures?

2) suffer through corporate america to have a small pension and a cheap gold watch and a kick out the door once your company is done with you?

bitter? yes i am.

hope this helps.

md

Gotta agree with MD that it's a great idea to pursue your dream and also that with photography there's a great deal of artistic ability required and you either have it or you don't.
Being poor and happy is fine if that's your goal but if other people come into the "picture" (pun intended) then you might want to think about alternatives.

cant you do it on the side? ... just schedule appointments for the weekend? ... i think thats your best bet

im no pro nor did i receive schooling .. just keep in mind, when and if you do receive a photography degree ... you will still need "work" experience before anyone hire you as a photographer (unless you're self-employed) ... u may have to be an assistant for a while .... i'd say, find yourself a "pro" photographer to study under and gain experience from them

i think in the end ... a degree looks impressive on paper, but if your work lacks the elements to make u great ... u willl suffer

portfolio.
portfolio.
portfolio.

the rest is worthless. schools WILL give you knowledge to create a great portfolio, but a portfolio of good work is all you need.

Thanks. Im a pretty artsy person. So I would love to have a degree in fine arts. So I can go do anything from Photography to custom auto detailing. I do want to try and get a good portfolio, portfolio, portfolio :wink: together. See if it can be another part time job. Maybe save some money for school in the future.

Yo,
All I can say is that my ex-roommate was a Photojournalism major and well errr, her photography skills are about on par with mine (and that's an insult!). So yeah, like everyone said, I think it's semi-innate ability.
Good luck in your pursuits!
Me, the Flea

No excuse for time management. I am currently working for Verizon as a graphic designer/web developer for 40 hours of the week, i attend college for my anthropology degree for 25 hours a week, and where ever there is time i am a musician (guitar, djembe, and electronic production), i am a sketch artist, and I take pictures where ever I happen to be when I am not doing those things.

Don't let the weight of corporate America get you down :)

There is always time for love and passion!

Most reactions

Back