For C&C

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On one of my morning walkabouts down by our ponds I saw a great picture, or so I thought. The picture turned out kind of flat so I did a little tweaking but it still does not capture the moment for me.

Morning Mist

morningmistsm.jpg

The top of the frame is very hazy and a bit too bright. Maybe a UV filter? The pond kinda looks a bit weird, looks like it should spill off the photo. The exposure on the grass is great.

Other than needing to be straightened, it's quite nice really. It is a little over-bright towards the top, but that's minor. If you wanted to reduce the haze, you could a levels adjustment, and clear it up a little.

It is a lovely scene, there is no doubt about it. And your camera captured it as best as it could, only can cameras alone not always capture a scene in the very way it was. That's when some pp software comes into play to help get to where you wanted to get in the first place when you took the photo. In this case, added to the straightening of the horizon (water surface), I'd partially work on the shadows in the levels of PS (I simply throw a well-feathered lasso tool around the part I want to work on, in this case the too bright top save the trees on the right) and see if not like that I'd get closer to my impression upon seeing the scene with my eyes.

Thanks folks.

I should have elaborated more on what I was trying to capture. I do not want to reduce the haze, that is what I wanted to capture. The light streaks through the haze was amazing but did not show up in the picture.

The picture is indeed level, the bank on the left is several feet higher than the right which will overflow in spring run-off. The land falls to the right & behind; straight back is a second pond @ a lower elevation fed by a pipe from the one you see. Our property (10 acres) drops 100' in elevation from front to back & there is no level ground anywhere so unless the picture has a distant horizon or a good vertical reference it may look crooked. :)

The picture is indeed level, the bank on the left is several feet higher than the right <snipped> :)

I think this is a case where what looks right is not what is necessarily right; to me, the pond water has a very disinct slope down to image left. Based on what you said, and looking at the image, I think while your camera may have been level on a left-to-right plane, the lens was tilted down slightly, resultying a slightly skewed perspective. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Most reactions

Back