For every photographer out there!

it all depends on what kind of photography you want to do, but as a rule i'd say don't go to school for it. find someone that will apprentice you and learn everything you can from them. i learned way more from being an assistant than i ever did in school

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

This is kind of hard to say. Of course I would tell myself to skip cheap lenses and buy expensive, but then again there are flip sides to that. If I bought a $1900 L lens and didn't know how to take a good picture, that still wouldn't save me. Then I would feel like I had met the limit and sucked, and would probably give up more easily. Starting cheap allows you to save money and focus on the technical aspects of the camera and different techniques while you figure out WHAT type of shooting you want. Then you can buy the expensive lenses that you need for that. Plus you always can pick yourself up when you get discouraged cause you can say "well I will keep trying and maybe one day when I get better lenses, I will see a big improvement" Not sure if it makes sense what I am saying.

I totally agree Taylor!! I think this type of opinion applies to other careers as well!

though my experience is very limited, one thing i keep reminding myself after the fact is to slow down and try diffrent settings and layouts instead of just pushing the shutter button 100x hoping for something good. that and to just go out there and take that shot. my best photos (so far) have been on days where i went out to something new and shot photos even though at the time i was getting discouraged and didnt thing i had anything decent.

I'm new to the forum, but not to photography. Been at it off and on for
over 40 years and what I have realized above equipment, beyond software
is that after all of the technical aspects are put aside you have to learn
to "SEE". I'm not just talking composition.

First decide where YOU want to go in photography then study that segment.
When you go to a location that you want to shoot, whether it is people, architecture,
animals, landscape, etc : Decide what story you want to tell and "Look" at what
is in that area. Go early before you need to shoot and sit down and "Look and Listen
to what is happening around you. The more you understand your subjects the
more you will be able to convey that in your imagery.

Anyone can technically take a photograph this quite good, but
if you want to "capture" what is in your subject you have to know what
it or they are about.

Take your time out in the field, slow down, know the gear that you do have
so that you can focus on what you want to capture.

That is what I wish that I REALLY knew when I started. I thought it was
about the gear and some creative drive, but it's about expressing the
connection your have with your subject in your medium, so that viewers
feel what you felt when they see your photograph.

If you feel awe that is exactly what a viewer must feel. Work that image until
you KNOW you have capture it heart and soul and you have the photograph
to prove it.

Most reactions

Back