What's new

For those of you with the Canon Rebel T1i

WesVFX

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
1
Location
Hemet, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any of you notice when shooting video, when you zoom in/out with your lens, the lighting changes?

I imagine it has something to do with the aperture changing during the zoom in/out process, but I know for a fact I've seen others shoot video with this camera zooming in/out and not having the same problem...

so what am I doing wrong?
 
Dont have one but i have a theory(probably wrong but hear it is).

If you set the aperture higher than it might not change while "Zooming".
Dont know if you can do that in video but figured i would try to help.

Personaly i dont get the point of video on a SLR.
 
I'm not 100% sure of the controls present for video mode - but the apertuer changing is a possible fact. If you look at your zoom lens it has a variable max aperture - f3.5 at 18mm and f5.6 at the 55mm end.
So if your lens is shooting wide open during video mode then your going to notice a difference in exposure as the lens zooms, since it can no longer retain the same aperture.

I can't be much more help than that I'm afraid - I dont have one of the newer video DSLRs :(

Opher - its another tool/option to have in the camera and really all its doing is recording the liveview output inside the camera (with nifty other things thrown in of course). For someone who needs video sometimes, but not all the time and can't afford a dedicated video system (or perhaps is limited on carrying space) its a great feature. Kids, wildlife, sports, journalists - all and more can make use of video easily.
 
Set your aperture to f/5.6 (or whichever high max. aperture your lens can offer when zoomed in).

Done.
 
Set your aperture to f/5.6 (or whichever high max. aperture your lens can offer when zoomed in).

Done.

well... just took a look at it. Tried everything I could think of. Couldn't find an aperture setting that you can adjust when in video mode... hmmmm

I'm uploading a video to youtube now... I'll post it when it's finished...
 
here's the video... you can see the light values "flickering" during zoom in/out...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% sure of the controls present for video mode - but the apertuer changing is a possible fact. If you look at your zoom lens it has a variable max aperture - f3.5 at 18mm and f5.6 at the 55mm end.
So if your lens is shooting wide open during video mode then your going to notice a difference in exposure as the lens zooms, since it can no longer retain the same aperture.


i think that would be it
i dont get why they put video recording in dslrs either
 
ah ok... well if that's the answer then there must be no way to fix this little problem i'm having. The thing is, I KNOW i've seen videos shot on DSLR's where they are zooming in/out without this issue...
 
on another note, here's a demo reel of a buddy of mine. He shot this completely on his 5D Mark II. So you can see that video on these cameras is indeed nice if done right :)

Daniel Ceccorulli Demo Reel on Vimeo
 
Or try some pro lenses. Tamron makes a 70-200 f/2.8 at a good price. That's my next lens. But it should help. And it's just a nice lens.
 
Or try some pro lenses. Tamron makes a 70-200 f/2.8 at a good price. That's my next lens. But it should help. And it's just a nice lens.

yea that could be it too... i know this "kit" lens i have right now isn't the best lens. I'm always getting frustrated using it :lol:

I definitely wanna get some new lenses, unfortunately i'm going on a 5 month unemployment stint. This was not a good time to graduate college. All the entry level jobs are being taken over by the "seasoned" elders :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom