Forget what i said..

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am seriously considering to go digi..i thought about it..it might really be the best thing to do..i think i could save a lot of money in the long run and still get the same pics done..

What do you recommend?

What am i gonna do with my Nikon? How much could i even get for it?

Does all of this make me a traitor? Hmm..lol..

If for whatever reason you want to stop me, please do so NOW!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Otherwise, give me some advice please..

anybody? I looked at www.dpreview.com but its just so many there to pick from..i´d rather hear someones personal opinion..

Hi, it depends if you've got a load of cash to spend or if your on a budget. I did a load of research before i bought my digital and i must say im very happy with the results i get. For me it was between the canon 350d and the nikon d50 (both are fairly cheep in comparison to others), and i went for the nikon d50 partly because i prefer nikon and was considering the d70s which is quite a bit more expensive. Check dpreview for comparisons of the d50 to d70......hardly anything in it....in fact the d50 had better results under high iso setting. The d50 was also a better build (in my opinion) than the 350d. Also we have a very reputable magazine over here, which rated the d50 at 90%....putting it in the top 5 digital slr's. So theres something to consider....also you could keep all your current nikon lenses and just sell the body.

However if you've got a load of cash.......ignor what i'v said and get a D2x or something! Hope this helps.

Bro, that D2x costs an abnormal amout of money..how about Canon EOS 20D or something? Somebodyalso told me to look at Sony DSC R1..or is sony out the picture=?

This is getting even more confusing now..so i just got back from the photo shop and i happened to talk to the owner who i told of what i wanted to do and he did everything possible to stay away from digital..he got very technical, meaning i didnt understand jack of what he said, giving me all these reasons to stay away from digital. The only good thing he said about digital was how you can see the pics immediately but qualitywise he completely dissed it..

I´ve looked at a lot of people´s pics who shoot digital and it works for them so all of this kinda confuses me..

Yes, some die hard film photographers will always argue that film is best and in my opinion up untill recently it was. But the balence is much more even now, there are some truely amazing digital slr's on the market at the moment and most proffesssionals and wedding photogs i know personally have moved to digital. The best way to decide if i were you, is to look through some of the galaries on here, when you find a picture you really like the look of, check the persons profile and see what gear they are using. You'll see alot of canon and nikon digital slr's listed, as well as some people using film.

The Canon EOS 20D, is a great camera and plenty of people on here own one, its a difficult dicision to make, but in my opinion you would be making a good move to go digital.

One thing i heard often out here is "if color go digi and if b/w go 35mm" I looked up peoples websites via profile and seen if i wanna make it happen..

Besides all of this, how much can i do with Photoshop?

I like to compare film with vinyl records..... it does give you a real nice quality to shoot with film and some people will always use film for all occasions. But alot of photogs now will have a range of digital products, and also keep a film in there arsenal. As i said, it is a difficult decision for people who are used to film, maybe you could try a photog shop that will let you handle a digital and take a few pics...see how you like it.

As for photoshop... you can do just about anything you want. It support vertually all types of image editing you'll ever need. I would recomend using it if you decide to go digital, although there is plenty more cheeper software out there also.

It entirely depends on why you want digital. If you like computers and that whole scene then go for it.
If you think digital is "better" then I will do what I can to talk you out of it. Here is an example of a pro who has been there and done that. http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=56042

Better yet do not get caught up in the one or the other mind set. I will scoff and ridicules the claims made by digital camera sales people as I complete the purchase. I buy them for a reason, a nitch, not because it is the greatest thing since the Springer Spaniel (shameless plug) and therefore film must be buried and badmouthed.
Get an entry level digital camera and play for yourself. But keep your film stuff.

I agree, keep your film camera. Maybe think about something like a D-50 or 70 since you have Nikon equipment now and then you can use both.

I think film is going to be around for a bit.

Besides the lense that came widdit, i dont have anything else NIkon so i could also go for something else..plus i didnt think it was very user friendly..the photo type settings just wherent always clear to me..like what direction i had to turn the wheel to when iwanted something portraitish i knew but a lot of other stuff i didnt..like the sports icon was for fast moving stuff, the mointain was like a panorama,landscapeish effect (where i didnt really see much difference) and the other i didnt really know what to do with..i wouldnt knock NIikon but i wouldnt mind looking at something else either..

YOu guys are right, i will keep the 35..

I shot film for 35 years and still do. During the last six months that I ran a studio I tried out digital. I told my son in law, who took over, to go digital it would be the best thing for him.

He did and now swears it is the best thing since sliced bread. Me I'm just to old a dog to learn a new trick...

So we got the Canon EOS 20D, Canon 350d, NIkon d50 to d70.

Anything else?

i would go d50 i am a child so i can only aford budget equipment. the d50 is great and nikon has amazing lenses tough i have heard that canon makes better bodies. this brings up my favoret topic, the adapter ring. if you would like the best of boath worlds get a conon body and spend $100?(usd sry no converison) and get an adapter ring so you can use nikon lenses on the cannon but the d50 is simpler and i love myn
and no it is not disrepectful do film, jsut keep your old film camera its more artistick ut as a kid i shoot a lot of crap so do my adult budies and with digital you can do that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back