Forgot XP password

leewald

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So a friend of mine forgot the login password on her computer. Windows XP. Now she's wondering if it's possible to retreive her files or to bypass the password somehow. I told her i'd ask "the forum". There's bound to be someone one here that knows.

The easiest way, if her computer has a stock setup (i.e. was installed by a computer company or someone other entity who didn't know what they were doing) is to reboot and repeatedly press the F8 key until given a menu. Choose to boot into "Safe Mode" and log into the "Administrator" account. The default XP install is to not password this account, so when you log in she could reset the password to her normal account.

If that doesn't work, PM me. There are....other ways of obtaining the password, but I'd prefer not to discuss them openly on the forum.

Tiberius said:
The easiest way, if her computer has a stock setup (i.e. was installed by a computer company or someone other entity who didn't know what they were doing) is to reboot and repeatedly press the F8 key until given a menu. Choose to boot into "Safe Mode" and log into the "Administrator" account. The default XP install is to not password this account, so when you log in she could reset the password to her normal account.

If that doesn't work, PM me. There are....other ways of obtaining the password, but I'd prefer not to discuss them openly on the forum.

Your avatar was absolutely PERFECT for this response :lol:

the best thing to do is to take the main unit to the top of your house chuck it out the window and buy a MAC

hot shot said:
the best thing to do is to take the main unit to the top of your house chuck it out the window and buy a MAC

Nonono! Create an ext3 partition and install Linux!! Once the penguin is living happily on your computer, the command you need is simple:

su -c; mkdir /mnt/winxp; mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp

Then you can cd and cp or mv to your hearts content. Need to find the phone number of that attractive guy/gal you met last weekend? No worries! Just start greping him/her!. And when your entire Windows system quits working right, you can use Linux and just fsck it all!

hey another linux fan :D

run both on my ickle laptop

Dom

Most reactions

Back