Found Canon Basement Diving

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found an old slr at my parents place today. It has a canon 50mm 1.4 lens on it. The filter on it was cracked and I have just managed to get it off, it seems it was cross threaded. I put it back on for the time being lightly screwed in to protect the lense. What kind of filter should I be getting to protect it or do I not need to worry about this? How can I tell if this lense would fit one of the newer Canon DSLR's, though I know it would be manual focus. Any ideas?

Unless you are planning to bang the camera into a bunch of things...it's not necessary to protect the lens at all times. I wouldn't bother with a broken filter. If need be, just get a lens cap.

Canon introduced their auto focus EOS cameras back in 1988. The lenses for EOS cameras are designated with EF (or EF-S for their digital crop sensor cameras).

Prior to that, Canon's manual focus SLR cameras used lenses designated with FD.

The two are not compatible.

So if your new find has an EF 50mm F1.4 lens, then yes the lens will work with a new Canon DSLR camera. But if it's an FD 50mm F1.4, then it will not work.

Thanks Mike. It is an FD, so no luck for me :( Ah well... Would any camera store have a lense cover? There wasn't one when I found the camera.

Thanks Mike. It is an FD, so no luck for me :( Ah well... Would any camera store have a lense cover? There wasn't one when I found the camera.

There are adapter rings out there for converting the FD series of lenses to the newer mount. They are pretty inexpensive you can find them on Ebay pretty easily. And yes pretty much any decent camera store is going to have a lens cap

Yes, any camera store will have lens caps. The size will be printed on the filter and the front of the lens.

You can't use the lens on a digital DSLR (well, you could but it's a long complicated story and it's not really worth the trouble)...but you can still use the camera. What camera is is...an AE-1? Go get yourself some film.

There are adapter rings out there for converting the FD series of lenses to the newer mount. They are pretty inexpensive you can find them on Ebay pretty easily.
The cheap ones will prevent the lens from focusing to infinity and the slightly more expensive ones do allow that but hurt image quality with their poor lens elements. The ones that are any good...are not cheap or easy to find. So unless you have some great FD glass...it's probably not worth it.

I'm going to go back down to the basement and have a bit more of a look around. Dad says that there is also some Pentax stuff down there.

The camera says FTb on the front and I haven't been able to figure out how to open the film compartment yet thought I found the battery :)

I'm going to go back down to the basement and have a bit more of a look around. Dad says that there is also some Pentax stuff down there.

The camera says FTb on the front and I haven't been able to figure out how to open the film compartment yet thought I found the battery :)

Make sure there's no film in it!!! First, there is probably a film reel release button on the bottom right, then flip open the lever on the top left and crank a few times. If there is film in there, you may get some surprise pictures.....although if it was your dad's camera, hope they are not of your mom....:blushing:

Next, pull up on the crank lever, and the plunger should come up to open the film door.

EDIT:

Here...found this for you.

http://www.canonfd.com/pdf/ftb.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks.. Got it open! No film though. I am heading into town now so maybe I will pick up a couple of rolls... Don't really have any ideas on this, it's been a long time I will ask at the store though.

I never would have thought to look for a manual.. Thanks so much

Most reactions

New Topics

Back