Four Photos For Critique

emptypockets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are four shots I took while traveling around Iowa a week or so ago. Actually, very little editing done to them, but did tweak things a little and crop the shots some. C&C welcome...

Tracks.jpg

Barn2-2.jpg

Bridge-4.jpg

Windmill.jpg

Nice but in the first three the horizon splits the image. The last composition is noce but the subject is a little uninteresting.

THey all look slightly oversharpened too?

Nice but in the first three the horizon splits the image. The last composition is noce but the subject is a little uninteresting.

THey all look slightly oversharpened too?

Thanks for the feedback. The unsharp mask too might not work well for these shots?

i really like the shots. a little bit plain overall but definitely nice!

Honestly? Your light is 100% completely flat, avoid mid-day shooting any expense.

These are all pretty boring to me, nothing interesting about them. I agree with kkart, the lighting is killing you here. And JD rightfully noticed the centered horizon in the top 3.

I agree with another reader, I would lay down or lay the camera down to the tracks, try and find a section of the track with a slight "s" curve if possible, it will make the shot a bit more dramtic. Always early morning or late evening shooting. It looks like the sky in the first and third image is blown out so maybe a ND Grad or bracket your shots next time.

I like the shot of the old barn, but it looks like a bit of a halo around part of the roof which would indicate oversharpening. I would crop out the top half of the sky, it really doesn't add to the shot and this will balance it a bit better. By itself it is not that interesting of a shot but I really think it would be a great candidate for a grungy HDR look. If you shot in RAW just reprocess two images over/underexpose and run through Photomatix.

The third image may be a bit oversaturated, of course it could just be my monitor.
The last image was exposed well but the subject is just not too interesting.
Tough love!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back