Framing and posing street fashion photography

Bongekile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello I am a photography student currently doing my last year and I realized that I am more interested in street fashion photography.
  • I have been struggling with such things through my journey and would appreciate if I get answers.
  • According to framing when shooting street fashion photography, is it necessary to place the subject in the middle of the frame or even include subjects of lesser important in the frame?
  • Another one is when shooting a model, how do you make sure that they feel comfortable to pose in front of the camera at the same time not looking at the camera?

Look at issues of Vogue, and W MAGAZINES.You need to tell models where to direct their eyes. Make good compositions. Shooting digitally it doesn't cost much.

Hello I am a photography student currently doing my last year and I realized that I am more interested in street fashion photography.
  • I have been struggling with such things through my journey and would appreciate if I get answers.
  • According to framing when shooting street fashion photography, is it necessary to place the subject in the middle of the frame or even include subjects of lesser important in the frame?
  • Another one is when shooting a model, how do you make sure that they feel comfortable to pose in front of the camera at the same time not looking at the camera?
Hello and welcome!

2) Frame your subjects artfully. Sometimes this means your primary subject is not centered in the frame. Study art.

3) You can either train an amateur or hire a professional model.

• 1, I have been struggling with such things through my journey and would appreciate if I get answers.
  • 2, According to framing when shooting street fashion photography, is it necessary to place the subject in the middle of the frame or even include subjects of lesser important in the frame?
  • 3, Another one is when shooting a model, how do you make sure that they feel comfortable to pose in front of the camera at the same time not looking at the camera?

Bong, welcome to the TPF.
1, If you are in your last year, are you talking of a BFA? By now you should know more than 90% of everybody you'll encounter here! Hopefully your school has a course in fashion photography or at least portraiture and you can use Fashion to fulfill the assignments.
2, Street photography is no different than any other photography. The rule of thirds is the standard. once masted it's meant to be bent, and when bending has been mastered, breaking it is the new rule? What and how you put things in the frame is entirely up to you. When you master juxtaposition is when your photography gets exciting!
3, Lets hope first that YOU are comfortable behind the camera, then it's completely up to you to direct your model to achieve the objective. Practice, of course, makes perfect. When you first start your models may be as new as you. As your portfolio gets stronger you'll get better shoots. Everyone wants GOOD pics and if your're the one that can make that happen, you'll be in demand. Check out the work of the young Ella Manor and be inspired!
As far as looking at the camera, there are no rules. sometimes you want the model to have a strong engagement with the viewer and other times not. It's up to you as a photographer to direct to get what you want. Though an experienced model can help, a good directer can get the most out of any model, paid or not.
Some models you just click with and you both just work well together. It's common to work with some models many times since sometimes you both just instinctively know what to expect from a shoot or pose.
LindaWhiteDressStandingIG.JPG

Good luck!!!
SS
Photography - Ellamanor.com

The Sartorialist is probably one of the most consistent street fashion photographers out there. Unlike editorials where the story is the driving force, street fashion is all about the pieces that made you take the photo. Framing and composition rules should apply accordance to the pieces you want to capture. Don't be afraid to cut limbs or heads off -that could just be your style.

I always wanted to become a model. I am interested in fashion since I was a child. I always was reading different magazines about fashion and following all the new fashion trends. Once I even tried to become a model. I was in middle school. I had some success but I understood that I can't go far in this domain. maybe my parents influenced me. Now I am also following that news of fashion and try to follow the last trends, but not so active as when I was a child. I buy all my clothes on ShopSKRIT. In my opinion, it is a good site for buying clothes because it gives you a big variety of clothes.

Last edited:
I had to go and look up street fashion photography
I do street photography but mine is capturing events as they happen or things that catch my attention.
Anything from and old advertising painted on a wall that is now almost hidden to the lad on a bike as he passes the no cycling sign

Most reactions

New Topics

Back