Freaked out by Windows vista

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today i was browsing through my computer to find stuff to delete and i thought, hey why dont i look at the System files so i went into the Files and folder options menu and disabled Hide Protected System files
i was in C:\
i clicked on Documents and settings (different from the one on XP)
And saw the file NTUSER.DAT had backups with the ending .LOG[#]
so opened it in wordpad,

It had lots of random letters and symbols but upon closer inspection it was stating what keys i had pressed, what files i opened, when i opened them etc...

pretty scary to see how much a computer logs us... A computer is for our own PERSONAL CONFIDENTIAL use yet it logs every last thing we do, there is nothing Private about that, they haven't even done a good job of hiding it...
im not finished looking through my files, and unsure wither to delete the logs or not... it might damage my computer, then again it may not,..

oh to get into the file, you have to edit some permissions

after further investigating... it still has videos and pictures i took from around 1 year ago!!!! (when i got the laptop) no wonder i have hardly any space!! damnit im moving to linux... atleast that way i get ALL my hard drive space

Last edited:
Yup... you can't do much it leaves a foot print. Better than keylogger ... depending on the situation.

Ok I must tell you to not delete those log files yourself. That can result in memory loss (for the computer) and undesirable computer operation. I like to consider myself well educated in computers. So what you want to do is download this program Ccleaner.com i use this almost everyday to keep viruses and hackers from finding out passwords and where i keep important documents, it basically safely removes stored temporary data, like browsing history and keystroke info. Once i didnt sweep for a month and it removed over a 1gb of useless memory space

Right, I knew there was a reason I moved away from Windows. That was one of them (one of the smaller ones, anyway).

Creepy.

i do use ccleaner... but it never removed these logs!!! (NTUSER.DAT)

So what you want to do is download this program Ccleaner.com i use this almost everyday to keep viruses and hackers from finding out passwords and where i keep important documents, it basically safely removes stored temporary data, like browsing history and keystroke info. Once i didnt sweep for a month and it removed over a 1gb of useless memory space

...Been using it for a while now. I usually run it once a week, but sometimes I'll let it go longer - it always (well...not anymore) surprises me how much crap it removes.

set it to wipe free space, you will be surprised how much space you get back (dont reccommend for hd space of more than 30gb as it will take a while, but leave it running over night)

i ran it to wipe free space on a 20 gb drive
once it was done i got 40 gb and my other rdrive had 50 gb free space, i ran it and it gave me 100gb back

btw olllllllo
why does your public profile go to 89oo's? or i nthe url it says o-o
:S

btw olllllllo
why does your public profile go to 89oo's? or i nthe url it says o-o
:S

My name breaks stuff.

You have to type it in manually, or follow the link in my sig.

btw...

It's the vertical bar (above enter, hold shift), not a lowercase "L".

Oh that is so cool... sorry Josh... But it is.

Most reactions

Back