What's new

Freaking focus

Joefbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Mar 19, 2014
Messages
175
Reaction score
51
Location
Tampa, Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems as though my images are not in focus, at least not where I am focusing. I have always just thought that this was me not knowing what I was doing and just hoping the focus is right. But after my new lens purchase I am still having the same issue. I put my focus point on one spot and it is sharp in another. Is it possible that my camera body is off? How can this be fixed? I find it hard to believe that all my lenses are off. Has anyone had any issues with this and what was your resolution? Thanks in advance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Forgot to say I have a t5i


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm not 100% sure of how Canon auto focus works, but if you're noticing the issue with multiple lenses then it's most likely that the AF sensor in the body needs to be adjusted. I know that on Nikon's lower end bodies this adjustment typically has to be done at a repair facility. Nikon's higher end bodies have the ability to do what is called "AF Fine Tune" and you can set values for each of your lenses to correct for front focus or back focus issues. I do not believe that the t5i has this capability, and will need to be serviced at a shop. Is your camera still under warranty? If so I would send it in along with the lenses to have Canon check and adjust the auto focus. Unfortunately "quality control" doesn't mean a whole lot to Nikon or Canon in this day and age so we as the end consumer suffer with problematic units.
 
As always with problems of this nature, posting images & full EXIF data may help trouble-shooting. Before you do anything that may cost money (servicing), I suggest you prove/dis-prove user error. Go outside and set up a row of objects, say pop cans, or such, about a two feet apart for 20 or so feet. Next, set your camera up on a tripod, and using single-point AF (or whatever Canon calls it) and your largest aperture at a fairly long focal length, focus on each one of these objects in turn, make sure the camera indicates its focused and then check the results. If they're all in focus as you shot them, then it's you. If not, there may indeed be an AF issue. Is the body still under warranty? Have you brought it to the place of sale and asked?
 
If you are letting the camera select the focus point, then usually it will select something in the foreground. To get it to focus where I want it to focus with my T1i, I select only the center point, and use that to acquire the focus, then reframe and shoot. Of course that technique also has issues, especially if you are shooting with a thin depth-of-field, but at least I know what the camera was asked to focus on. Cameras having more advanced auto-focus systems have better ways of acquiring the "right" focus, but they are also more complicated to set up (ie, to tell the camera what you expect it to do).
 
Last edited:
Hi, if you have a canon you can use the Imagebrowser ex to show where you focused while taking the shot.

Waterbok.webp

Here you can see where the camera focused, but the shot is still not sharp due to my errors :angry:
 
I don't let the camera choose. I manually set the focal points. The strange thing is that when I set up a newspaper on the wall, and focused on a sentence, it always ended up being soft and the focus was either below or above where I had selected. I have had this camera for about 14-15 months and always thought that it was my error or my kits lens issue. I have since purchased faster, more expensive lenses and done some tests on focusing. All seem to be having this issue of the focus being slightly off. This has been frustrating because I capture images that I love...while focusing in the proper place, only to find out that the eyes are soft and a mole or an ear is razor sharp.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Are your images ever sharp in the intended place or are they always mis-focused?
 
Always mis focused at f1.8-f3.0. I will have to do some more testing but it looks like I might need to send back to canon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom