French Press | B&W | Backlit

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I may be a day or two late, but here's the final image in my Black and White challenge. A friend nominated me on Facebook, and I've been participating, but all with old images I had in my archives. I wanted a NEW photo, and I've been really wanting to get a picture of my new french press... As I was making coffee I ran upstairs, grabbed my gear, and setup for the shot I had in mind. I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out, and I think it an excellent final image for my challenge.

Nikon D800
Nikon 85mm 1.8G
SB700
Pocketwizards

Don't Press Me by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Thoughts? Comments and Critiques?!
Jake

The detail on the back lit press is sweet. I also like the detail on the resting surface.

What's with the light line in the background? Is that the flash reflecting off the press? I don't know if I'd clone it out, but i might try to reduce it somehow If i reshot.

Very well executed.

The detail on the back lit press is sweet. I also like the detail on the resting surface.

What's with the light line in the background? Is that the flash reflecting off the press? I don't know if I'd clone it out, but i might try to reduce it somehow If i reshot.

Very well executed.

It's reflecting off that upper metal band. Thanks for the kind words! I left it in because I think it adds and interesting element [emoji106]

It's reflecting off that upper metal band. Thanks for the kind words! I left it in because I think it adds and interesting element [emoji106]

After looking at the image again, I think I've identified what bothered me about the flash line... I feel like it's too high in the frame. This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth :)

But it could be an interesting challenge to place it where you want in the frame and still get the details you want from the back lighting :)

After looking at the image again, I think I've identified what bothered me about the flash line... Could be an interesting challenge to place it where you want in the frame and still get the details you want from the back lighting :)

The toughest part is that I had a little wood cutting board that I used for the background. So I was limited in angles, and space. Definitely something to revisit.

nice work. :biggrin-93:

Ohhh! I LIKE this! And not just because it has coffee in it. Very nice lighting! I love the shine on the press, without any real " hot spots" if that makes any sense at all. This is definitely worthy of a cafe wall!

Ohhh! I LIKE this! And not just because it has coffee in it. Very nice lighting! I love the shine on the press, without any real " hot spots" if that makes any sense at all. This is definitely worthy of a cafe wall!

Now I just have to find a cafe to hang it!

Did I mention that my kitchen is cafe themed? And I have an espresso machine, so I mean, technically it IS a cafe. ;-) *wink wink*

Did I mention that my kitchen is cafe themed? And I have an espresso machine, so I mean, technically it IS a cafe. ;-) *wink wink*

Would you like a print? I'm sure I can swing a special for a fellow TPF member [emoji57]

Would you like a print? I'm sure I can swing a special for a fellow TPF member [emoji57]
Aww! I would LOVE one. Trouble is, I don't actually have walls in my kitchen to hang things. It's a "great room" so my only kitchen wall is lined with cabinets. If I come up with a spot to hang it, I'll pm you!

Aww! I would LOVE one. Trouble is, I don't actually have walls in my kitchen to hang things. It's a "great room" so my only kitchen wall is lined with cabinets. If I come up with a spot to hang it, I'll pm you!

Please do! [emoji5]️

Most reactions

New Topics

Back