Frequency Separation... Help?

where's the before?

not the image I'd use the editing method on...well i guess it depends what you were doing.

where's the before?

not the image I'd use the editing method on...well i guess it depends what you were doing.
he got rid of the tree reflection and kinda blew out the top right.

It was SO much easier than cloning it out by hand. SO much easier.

Here's another example.

Before by Michael Long, on Flickr

Freq separated by Michael Long, on Flickr

It looks like just some cloning was done, but a few moments worth of work makes cloning stuff and healing much more accurate and easy. Saved myself an hour's worth of screwing around on this one, probably 3 hours of cloning on the Ferrari. What I'm trying to say is that I SUUUUUCK at cloning (but I do it anyway).

Besides the cloning, I'm not quite sure I understand what you've done in terms of frequency separation.

Generally that's used for portraits, so I've never seen it used on photos of cars.

John, I had a polarizer on, hence why you can see the engine AT ALL.

Rex, I've tried just plain cloning this stuff out before, but my god did it suck. Doing it with frequency separation seems to make it muuuuuch easier.

Here's another shot at it. This one I REALLY had to blur the hell out of the low pass layer to get rid of those reflections only in that layer. I've tried cloning them out so many times (it's an old shot I've revisited 20 or so times) and this time FINALLY worked. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but what had taken over an hour to sort of get something that was worse than before.

Pre freq sep by Michael Long, on Flickr

Post freq sep by Michael Long, on Flickr

Last edited:
John, I had a polarizer on, hence why you can see the engine AT ALL.

Rex, I've tried just plain cloning this stuff out before, but my god did it suck. Doing it with frequency separation seems to make it muuuuuch easier.
Wow... that's some nasty-@$$ reflection!

The sun was shining just above the plane of the window, hence why it was that massive of a flare and that nasty of a reflection.

Most reactions

Back