Frisbee Dogs @ the Bangor Fair

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well...let me first say that I think my D90 and the lens I was complaining about last night got together and decided to pull a fast one on me. They showed me today a glimpse of what they can do.

I am very impressed with the D90, I love it. Today was really my first time doing real live action shots, mixed with using AF-C. I think I actually nailed a few, and I am quite pleased. I missed often, but when I didn't....man...was it cool.

Here are 6 of my favorites I ran through real quick. I have a lot more to cull. I will revisit to rethink crops and possibly cloning out that stupid flag.

I will say one thing about the 80-200, while it performed well today, I am noticing a lot of CA, so much that photoshop can't even fix with lens correction. Usually it is at or near the 200mm range. Kinda sucked, but it is what it is.

Here is the set if you wanna see larger pictures.

Frisbee Dogs at the Bangor Fair 2012 - a set on Flickr

I'll say again that I am totally impressed with the D90's ability for fast action actuations (I think I got wood a few times when I heard that fast action shutter pops 5-6 at a time) and the dead on balls accuracy of the AF-C.

I wish I had this light during the freestyle dirtbikers, I would have loved this sort of action on them. But it was night by then, I think I got a few though, will post up tomorrow...I'm tired.

This one is, I think, my absolute favorite. I fuking nailed this one. The composition could have used some work, but focus...nailed that mother, in mid action no less. I'm happy.

7714692012_21b5c4dfd6_c.jpg

7714695002_10bcfd720a_c.jpg

7714697346_3e63118bf5_c.jpg

7714699398_d142187196_c.jpg

5. That's right, eat that frisbee doggie. Ruff.
7714702662_df150d0dc1_c.jpg

7714689986_100fdd680e_c.jpg

that first one...

You managed some great action shots here! This is the only real thing I envy I DSLR owners for relative to my Micro Four Thirds Camera! I love these shots. The last two are actually my favorites. Second to last for being the most dynamic regarding action, and the last for being an awesome post-catch pose. Also like how you got low to make the shallow DoF visible in the grass.

BTW, image 3 is the same as image 2. I do believe I saw the intended image on flickr though, and it's my third favorite =P

Also, if you use lightroom, have you tried the defringing tool in the most recent update? It works extremely well in my experience. Just tried it on one of your images and it seemed to work fine, except that it sometimes confused the blue's in the clothing for fringing.

You managed some great action shots here! This is the only real thing I envy I DSLR owners for relative to my Micro Four Thirds Camera! I love these shots. The last two are actually my favorites. Second to last for being the most dynamic regarding action, and the last for being an awesome post-catch pose. Also like how you got low to make the shallow DoF visible in the grass.

BTW, image 3 is the same as image 2. I do believe I saw the intended image on flickr though, and it's my third favorite =P

Also, if you use lightroom, have you tried the defringing tool in the most recent update? It works extremely well in my experience. Just tried it on one of your images and it seemed to work fine, except that it sometimes confused the blue's in the clothing for fringing.

Thanks for your reply.

I have lightroom and I am in the process of learning it. So no, not tried it. I used the lens correction profile tool in acr 7 when editing the raws, usually that knocks it out. I guess I'll revisit and try out lightrooms tool.

Yea, defringing in lightroom 4.1(not 4, 4.1 only) is amazingly effective. I just wish you could only apply it locally so as to not involve parts of the image that might have similar color to the aberrations. I'm not sure if Photoshop provides a similar tool, as I haven't used it for photo processing since I started to use LR.

Excellent images...well timed...or you selected to post the most well timed ones ;)

Both. lol. I still have more to go through, those are just my favorites. I started culling them by focus/no focus. Then I picked what I liked the best from there. I shot about 120, about 40 are in the "in focus" folder, these I grabbed from there. Some were in focus, but not timed right, so they didn't make the cut.

Although I have a d100 it is the d90 you would have to pry out of my hands right now lol. Absolutely love the set :) oh wait think I said that on your other thread lol. #1 my hands down fave. The expression on the dog is priceless.

WOW not sure what is MORE amazing....the images or the expression on these dog's faces

LOVE every single one

GREAT JOB!!!:thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the kinds words.

I do love that expression on that dogs face in number one. I think that is why it's my fave. They dogs were having a blast, they really enjoyed doing the show. I could see a mixed look of "happy doggie" at times and "crazy I'm gonna tear up that frisbee" at other times.

Most reactions

Back