From Canon S5Is to S90/95 (or other P&S)?

stevco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've bought a Canon S5IS back in the last days of 2007,
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

It's a nice camera but it's too heavy, big and slow for P&S camera, and it is not that good for more serious stuff. It's in the middle and that's bad position.
Good points are: Macro, zoom (not use them much), good ergonomics, flipping preview.
Bad points are: Heavy, big, 4 batteries, manual focus and other manual options are not that handy, it's quite nosy on 400iso +.
Since this last year I'm shooting mostly on film, S5IS usualy stays unused.

I'm thinking to sell it (luckily I've found a potentional buyer for price of 200 euro or close) and I'm thinking maybe to get a newer small P&s with good quality, also to use it as a lightmeter too.

What do you think of cameras like Canon S90, S95
Canon PowerShot S90 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (they are many around). They are very small, light and handy, it has wide and quality shrap lens, enough zoom for me. It has newer but smaller sensor - 1/2.5 vs 1/1.7. (would be that much difference?)

or maybe some similar models like Panasonic LX3/LX5 or maybe Sony DSC-HX5V
?

Is it clever to update my P&S camera and paying some euro plus to get S90 or maybe keeping the S5IS?

Last edited:
I've never used an S5IS, but I did have an S3IS (still do, but hardly use it) and was never happy with it. Too noisy in anything but bright daylight, lots of chromatic aberrations under high contrast, small LCD, not exactly compact etc.

In my opinion, the S90 has MUCH better image quality, especially in indoor and and low(er) light situations. Also, since your list of complaints about the S5IS is littered with size and weight issues, it's hard to see how the S90 or S95 would not be a big improvement (especially if you don't need the zoom reach of the S5IS) :D

BTW, the S90 has a bigger sensor than the S5IS. The 1/2.5" in the S5IS has a crop factor of 6.02 (compared to 35mm film) while the S90's 1/1.7" has a crop factor of 4.55. I do think the larger sensor is a big factor in the S90's better low(er) light performance.

I've never used an S5IS, but I did have an S3IS (still do, but hardly use it) and was never happy with it. Too noisy in anything but bright daylight, lots of chromatic aberrations under high contrast, small LCD, not exactly compact etc.

In my opinion, the S90 has MUCH better image quality, especially in indoor and and low(er) light situations. Also, since your list of complaints about the S5IS is littered with size and weight issues, it's hard to see how the S90 or S95 would not be a big improvement (especially if you don't need the zoom reach of the S5IS) :D

BTW, the S90 has a bigger sensor than the S5IS. The 1/2.5" in the S5IS has a crop factor of 6.02 (compared to 35mm film) while the S90's 1/1.7" has a crop factor of 4.55. I do think the larger sensor is a big factor in the S90's better low(er) light performance.

Thank you,

Sensor size numbers confused me a bit, an obviously the latest Canon's P&S in "S" line should have better sensor than 3 year old S5is.

The price for S90 on Amazon is pretty acceptable but in European store (Balcan exactly) is pretty expensive.
Maybe I should wait to Christmass; prices often fall through that period.

S90 has wider lens and that's good.

I'm about to get a Rolleiflex so I will need a small P&S for proof pictures and lightmeter.

Most reactions

Back