Cheap P&S decision is hard

garboui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After coming back from a mountain bike trip in sedona I have decided that I need to upgrade my P&S. May main camera, 60D is waay too much for me to carry while riding or during other activities for both practicality and liability reasons. Currently my no worry carry along P&S is a 8yr old Panasonic FX-07. While its not lacking on acceptable form factor, ruggedness (its lasted this long), and pixels or even sharpness it does suck hard when it comes to noise. Even in broad daylight at minimum ISO my cellphone is bettering it in this department.

I like the idea of a waterproof contender but im getting the impression that I would be sacrificing sharpness and overall lens quality. For this reason and also never really being limited by this factor I have ruled out this option.

After a walk through my local Henrys I was able to settle on two finalists (unless you guys prove me otherwise): The Canon S200 and the Fujifilm Xf-1; both are currently the same price. I have looked in to more expensive options as well but given its purpose I want it to be somewhat sacrificial as well.

The specs on these two are pretty close. Im just trying to figure out which will give me bottom line better quality photos. Some of my thoughts on the two so far:
- While sensor tech is different and the sensor is smaller the S200 but is 2 years newer. (Which will win the noise contest?)
- The ergo for manual control is much better on the Fuji
- The ergo for on/off if much quicker and convenient on the Canon
- The Canon is smaller and would fit much better in a hydrapack
- The fuji betters the Canon with 7fps vs 2
- I have a personal preference/ longtime familiarity with Canon product
- wi-fi on the Canon, I couldnt care less.
- The Fuji does look farkn' sexy
- The Fuji will shoot RAW, yaaaaa baby!

What do you guys think? I would like to jump on this soon as riding season has begun here in the north and I would like to start off with a nice trail camera.
-

Last edited:
I don't know about the Fuji gear, but I picked up a brand new Canon G15 at B&H on sale 6 weeks ago for $299 including a 16gb Sandisk card!

My digital history started with a G3, then a G5, a 30D, 60D and now a 5D3. I picked up the G15 for a 'bang around' camera that can do close to everything my 5D3 can...including full manual, RAW+JPG, and an incredible f1.8-f2.8 lens! I took it for a 'test outing' and was amazed at the clarity and pizazz of the JPGs SOOC! While it's no match for a 5D3 with L glass in the IQ department, it's VERY RESPECTABLE! AND...it's built like a tank!

bratkinson, I looked at the G15/16 as an option as it has been on my list for a ling time. My only, only, issue with this camera is the overall size. Having a thin profile is quite beneficial for me to be able to slide in an already packed camelback or other slim bag.

I don't know about the Fuji gear, but I picked up a brand new Canon G15 at B&H on sale 6 weeks ago for $299 including a 16gb Sandisk card!

My digital history started with a G3, then a G5, a 30D, 60D and now a 5D3. I picked up the G15 for a 'bang around' camera that can do close to everything my 5D3 can...including full manual, RAW+JPG, and an incredible f1.8-f2.8 lens! I took it for a 'test outing' and was amazed at the clarity and pizazz of the JPGs SOOC! While it's no match for a 5D3 with L glass in the IQ department, it's VERY RESPECTABLE! AND...it's built like a tank!
Another vote for the G15, I had it for close to a year and its just an amazing camera for its size and price, its basically a small DSLR with a very fast lens.

"garboui" if you want tiny little camera then maybe the Canon S110 but if I was you I would go for the G15, its not the smallest P&S in the market but its small enough for most cases and you gain so much with it that its a shame to give it up just because its a bit fat for your expectation.

I think the Sony RX100 or the RX100 II are also worth to take a look. If you do not need Wifi, the RX100 is cheaper.

The rx100 is out of my price range for the purpose of this camera. I would prefer to stay under the $400 range and right now my shortlist is under $300 which is really nice.

I may now be contending the Canon S110 but seems to be mixed reviews in the low light performance department compared to the S200. Buttt... the S110 does capture RAW.

The rx100 is out of my price range for the purpose of this camera. I would prefer to stay under the $400 range and right now my shortlist is under $300 which is really nice.

I may now be contending the Canon S110 but seems to be mixed reviews in the low light performance department compared to the S200. Buttt... the S110 does capture RAW.

Oops, my bad. For some reasons I thought you meant S120 in the original post which is around US$450 range so the RX 100 is kind of close.

For $300 or less, I will for sure take a look at the S110 then. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back