From The Cotton Fields

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Cotton is late this year, so I had to push the shots some, lot of green where there should be white! And of course the day I planned the shoot, it was overcast and calling for rain in the evening, had to shoot midafternoon rather than sunset, so the light was really blah. Little side note, the last two B&W's have an Ilford film simulation applied to add to the period effect of the old gas pump. She looks tiny compared to the pump, but the pump is huge, at least 8'tall or better. I've never come across one like this before. Enjoy

Cotton Fields20211012_4835.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Cotton Fields20211012_4854.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Cotton Fields20211012_4880-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Cotton Fields20211012_4881-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

-

I love the colour takes, William! :encouragement:
Why are they rendered differently?
… and who's the pretty face? :)
The color shots are processed the same in LR. As mentioned in the OP this was midafternoon, heavy overcast sky, about as flat of light as it could get, but the weather later wasn't anymore favorable. I was using a bare bulb flash, high on a stand, using P-ttl simulate a little sun and bring up the contrast. The difference is that the flash didn't fire in the first shot (helps if you turn it on LOL), but liked the pose so I kept it. These were a couple from the shoot. All told I think I kept 20-25 for print.

The subject is my granddaughter, (AKA Lil'Bit). She has been in front of the camera since she was barely able to sit up, and at 6 is quite the model, having an innate ability to pose without much instruction and to portray a wide range of emotions. She's also got a vocabulary beyond her years and an attitude to match that sometimes gets her in trouble, we have some interesting sets at times. LOL

Last edited:
Adorable model as usual :) I like the outfit color choice and brown bow. It works well with the fall scenery.

Fine set and as ever she looks so at ease in front of the lens.

Did vandals break the globe in the pump? I like these.
Who knows, it's been there for a really long time. The man that lives across the road (who has as much character as the old pump, LOL) says it's been that way for years. Thanks for commenting.

Fine set and as ever she looks so at ease in front of the lens.
I wondered if we were going to have problems because this was her second day of school holiday. The energy level was so high she was almost vibrating on the way out, but once she got in front of the camera it was all business.......mostly. :chuncky:

Cotton Fields20211012_4849.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
She's just so natural. Happy wee thing. Great to see.

Very nicely done, especially given the lighting conditions. That third color one, with her looking at the camera, has quite a bit of charm! There's a lot of mischief there in those smiling eyes.

Most reactions

Back