What's new

Frontier nursing Midwife Memorial

oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
4,835
Reaction score
6,557
Location
kentucky hills
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mary Breckenridge brought midwife services to poorest county in appalachian Mtns
Riding through ice cover winter rivers, her and her nurses deliverd babies for the poorest residents.
Please C&C


1
043-1_zpsfe9f957f.jpg




2
047_zpsb1cdcc93.jpg



046_zpsa1aec044.jpg
 
Last edited:
Bump for some daytime C&C
 
C&C per req:

Shots like these are VERY difficult to pull off because invariably memorials are placed in busy, high-traffic, urban areas (If you want some awesome memorial shots, WWI Allied graveyards in France are truly inspiring!). That said, a couple of things come to mind: (1) This was not the est time of day for these shots in that the sun was low and behind the statue rendering the portion "facing" the camera in very deep shadow. A fill-flash or reflector to bring some more illumination would have helped greatly. (2) The Background really kills these shots. My thinking is that a slightly higher vantage point would have allowed you to shoot slightly down and eliminate the wires, and using longer glass and/or a larger aperture would have helped to render the background more OOF and less distracting.

Watch your positioning of elements within the frame; in #2 the child's left arm appears to be the horses left foreleg, making it look like a three-legged horse with fingers instead of hooves!

While it doesn't speak specifically to this statue, I think #3 is definitely the strongest of the lot and shows some nice detail (although that child has freakishly long fingers!).

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 
C&C per req:

Shots like these are VERY difficult to pull off because invariably memorials are placed in busy, high-traffic, urban areas (If you want some awesome memorial shots, WWI Allied graveyards in France are truly inspiring!). That said, a couple of things come to mind: (1) This was not the est time of day for these shots in that the sun was low and behind the statue rendering the portion "facing" the camera in very deep shadow. A fill-flash or reflector to bring some more illumination would have helped greatly. (2) The Background really kills these shots. My thinking is that a slightly higher vantage point would have allowed you to shoot slightly down and eliminate the wires, and using longer glass and/or a larger aperture would have helped to render the background more OOF and less distracting.

Watch your positioning of elements within the frame; in #2 the child's left arm appears to be the horses left foreleg, making it look like a three-legged horse with fingers instead of hooves!

While it doesn't speak specifically to this statue, I think #3 is definitely the strongest of the lot and shows some nice detail (although that child has freakishly long fingers!).

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I would say almost exactly the same thing. I'd lighten up the rider (maybe even a reflector) but leave the horse contrast alone. I also agree that #3 is the strongest but it does have the "ET Come Home" appearance.
 
Thanks guys I was looking for some ideas on these. I thought they would be a lot easier. Thinking of trying it again full sun with a cpl. see what I get.
Again thanks. Ed

PS love the ET go home comment. LOL
 
I like the hands but I'm not a fan of sunny high contrast images. If you could catch this on a cloudy day I just wonder...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom