Frozen soap bubbles

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was a fun exercise but not very successful. I’ve tried this several times in the past few years with very mediocre results. I had high hopes when I saw the forecast for low teens and no wind for this morning. But by the time I got the dogs situated and made the bubble mixture and got myself ready to brave the cold, the sun had warmed things up to 20 degrees and the bubbles were just not freezing fast enough! Also, I may not have used enough water in the mix... and I didn’t pre chill it... and I didn’t have a good background where I had sufficient backlighting... The list of things I did wrong is long!

I did manage to get a few shots but each has issues with background or highlights or both. I do have a decent plan to shoot these at night next time temps drop so we’ll see if I can do better then. There’s lots of room for improvement. I think the first is the best of these.

Frozen soap bubbles by SharonCat..., on Flickr

DF95C393-28F9-49BE-9F15-47DFB24B9661 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

93F6DD37-5DBE-4080-9AE8-BD368A897560 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

That first one is awe-some! Really, that one is so cool, I love that large flake crystallized so you can see the pattern. You nailed it getting that shot.

It's print worthy, if you print it I'd buy one!

Clever idea! I like #4.

You're being too hard on yourself, I think these are great! The first and last are my favorites. They each have their own unique color cast.

It will be fun to see what you get doing them at night. They would make fantastic sets for a triptych. Like little crystal balls. Beautiful!

I don't think they are too bad at all considering the circumstances.

I agree that the first is probably the best. As you say tho the bg doesn't help but at times you just have to work with the hand you're dealt and make the best of it.

It's an interesting idea which I've not seen done before so food for thought.

That first one is awe-some! Really, that one is so cool, I love that large flake crystallized so you can see the pattern. You nailed it getting that shot.

It's print worthy, if you print it I'd buy one!

Thanks! Maybe I’ll get your name in TPF secret Santa next year and I’ll know what to send you lol.

Very nice set......

TYVM...

Great set.

Thanks! It must be cold enough near you to freeze soap bubbles any time you want. This would be a fun experiment to do with your kids.

Clever idea! I like #4.

thanks!

You're being too hard on yourself, I think these are great! The first and last are my favorites. They each have their own unique color cast.

It will be fun to see what you get doing them at night. They would make fantastic sets for a triptych. Like little crystal balls. Beautiful!

Thanks! Yes I am my own most severe critic - which is not a bad thing I think. There’s always room for improvement.

I don't think they are too bad at all considering the circumstances.

I agree that the first is probably the best. As you say tho the bg doesn't help but at times you just have to work with the hand you're dealt and make the best of it.

It's an interesting idea which I've not seen done before so food for thought.

Thanks. If you’re interested in trying this there are several you tube how to clips that are really helpful.

Thanks! It must be cold enough near you to freeze soap bubbles any time you want. This would be a fun experiment to do with your kids.

We have done this and your thread reminded me that we need to do it again.

Very neat idea! It is definitely cold enough where I live, although not where I currently am. I think they are very neat and will have to try this some day. Guess I need a macro though.

Very well done, don’t be so hard on your self, how many others are even trying todo this

Very neat idea! It is definitely cold enough where I live, although not where I currently am. I think they are very neat and will have to try this some day. Guess I need a macro though.

I didn’t use a macro this time. I used the 18-55 zoom. I should have used the 60mm macro but it struggles in low contrast situations. I ended up manually focusing so it wouldn’t have mattered. A 105 or 90mm macro would be great for these but not totally necessary.

Very well done, don’t be so hard on your self, how many others are even trying todo this

Hahaha you’d be surprised! Google frozen soap bubbles and there are thousands of images from the past 3-4 years. About 2 years ago it was all the rage on Instagram and in Facebook photo groups. One group I was in actually banned soap bubble photos because the feed was getting so clogged up with them.

Very cool and nice set but #1 is the best of the bunch. I may have to try that myself on a Mr. Bubble night. :drunken_smilie:

Very cool and nice set but #1 is the best of the bunch. I may have to try that myself on a Mr. Bubble night. :drunken_smilie:

Don’t you live in FL? It needs to be at least 18 degrees f or below for the bubbles to freeze. Although, I did see some really great photos of soap bubbles (not frozen) in my macro photo group recently. The colors are amazing.

This was a fun exercise but not very successful. I’ve tried this several times in the past few years with very mediocre results. I had high hopes when I saw the forecast for low teens and no wind for this morning. But by the time I got the dogs situated and made the bubble mixture and got myself ready to brave the cold, the sun had warmed things up to 20 degrees and the bubbles were just not freezing fast enough! Also, I may not have used enough water in the mix... and I didn’t pre chill it... and I didn’t have a good background where I had sufficient backlighting... The list of things I did wrong is long!

I did manage to get a few shots but each has issues with background or highlights or both. I do have a decent plan to shoot these at night next time temps drop so we’ll see if I can do better then. There’s lots of room for improvement. I think the first is the best of these.

DF95C393-28F9-49BE-9F15-47DFB24B9661 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

93F6DD37-5DBE-4080-9AE8-BD368A897560 by SharonCat..., on Flickr
Interesting and beautiful! #1 is also my favorite. Please list all the things you did wrong; I want to make it my “to do” list.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back