Frustrating moon shots!

:D

I am curious, pointing up how did you support the camera in your hands keeping it so steady?

Well, practice and telling myself to calm down. Seems like I'm always a bit stressed when I'm trying to be so still. When I first got this camera I had to put away the long lens and learn again how to be still while holding and pressing the button without moving the camera. Let's not forget the VR, it makes many things handheld possible that I don't believe would be otherwise.

When I am hand holding and trying to be real still, I set the 2sec timer and press the shutter button. Then hold on for 2 secs for the shutter release. This seems to help me.

Maybe I should stop using a hammer to press the shutter button. :mrgreen:

If you have a fast enough shutter speed, it should be fine for hand held.

As I mentioned earlier, full shot can be taken with
F/8 1/500 ISO100, or sometimes F/8 1/1000 ISO200 and that should be fast enough

Of course, you can even try it with 1 stop faster by open up the aperture to F/5.6

Have you bothered to use the Search feature on this site? Lunar (Moon) Photography Guide, by Astrostu

Yes, I typed in moon, and moon shots under search. And I only found the 1 result...maybe I didn't search correctly? Lol I'm still getting a hang of this forum stuff.

There has been a lot of very helpfull advice in reply to this ( I appriciate it! ) I'm gonna work on some shots this weekend--and post them up.

Hope this helps.

I took this last night. Handheld. Here's the EXIF
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Also, I used spot metering on it.

4405836534_7e24157176.jpg

Okay, I've been away on a trip and I'm still at this conference, but now that I'm here I can pay a bit more attention to this thread.

(1) DO NOT USE A HIGH ISO. This is completely unnecessary for normal moon photography and it will add significant noise to your images.

(2) Use an aperture close to f/8, perhaps slightly lower.

(3) Start with a shutter speed around 1/250 sec for the full moon, closer to 1/125 sec for a half moon. Based on the histogram, which you want to peak in the middle, adjust your shutter speed from there. There is absolutely no reason not to use the LOWEST ISO that your camera allows.

Ok so for those of you who have helped me in this thread.. and contributed to it... thank you, i finally got a better result :) im still working on it though.

Heres my recent result ( before i was just getting white blobs.)
2ndmoon.jpg

Ok so for those of you who have helped me in this thread.. and contributed to it... thank you, i finally got a better result :) im still working on it though.

Heres my recent result ( before i was just getting white blobs.)

Much better! :thumbup:

You did awesome I think. It inspired me to try myself. Just bumped up the contrast in PP.

mooney.jpg

Amazing how it looks identical in Ohio as it does in Arizona, I understand why I just think it's neat.

You did awesome I think. It inspired me to try myself. Just bumped up the contrast in PP.

Amazing how it looks identical in Ohio as it does in Arizona, I understand why I just think it's neat.

I think you can lower your ISO to 100 instead of 400 by changing the aperture from F/13 to F/6.3 to obtain the same exposure.

pretty cool I did a moon shot way back in dec. its pretty nice :) I like moon shots there pretty cool and that last 2 posted are very nice

It seems like the only major difference between the original post and the others that turned out is the ISO setting (noticeably). I know when I first got my camera I tried the exact same thing and people would never give you a simple answer how to do it on some videos and other forums. I honestly want to say that you need to set your ISO to about 100 and mess with some shutter speeds/aperture to get a nice detailed shot. Let us know how it works!

I will save this thread under favorites and if the moon wants to peek out of some clouds tonight I'll go give it a whirl again and post my results. Good luck!

By the way, our next full moon isn't until April 28th according to my calendar :(

Weird!.. Nobody mentioned about focusing. You may need to manually focus on the moon. AF may not give the best result all the time...

And +1 for what astrostu said. Why the heck you need to use high ISO if this can be done with the lowest possible ISO on your camera.
In my photography, bumping up the ISO would always be the last resort...

Most reactions

Back