Frustration

Dom6663

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are some methods/places of acquiring camera gear cheaply?

I'm at the point where a kit lens, and some manual focus vintage lenses just don't provide me with the elements I need, for the type of work I want to do. However being just 17 years old, coming across more then $100 at a time is very difficult. Between cell phone, car, and personal expenses, I'm lucky if I have any money in my wallet at the end of the month.

Any tips on how to potentially acquire some equipment for cheap, or free :sexywink:

Or can anyone teach me a magic trick that will turn air into money, that would be fine as well

Find a job in winter holiday season. Shopping mall should have a lot of part time opens. Save money.

Job+Ramen noodle = $$
$$ = Nice equipment
Nice equipment = photo gigs
Photo gigs = more money

:)

I'm at the point where a kit lens, and some manual focus vintage lenses just don't provide me with the elements I need, for the type of work I want to do.
What type of work do you want to do that your present lenses are limiting you from doing?

I already have a job!

Verizon and car insurance are expensive!

I'm at the point where a kit lens, and some manual focus vintage lenses just don't provide me with the elements I need, for the type of work I want to do.
What type of work do you want to do that your present lenses are limiting you from doing?

Sports photography mostly

Its hard to do with a 200mm f/4 manual focus, with a focus ring as slow as cold molasses.

I already have a job!

Its hard to do with a 200mm f/4 manual focus, with a focus ring as slow as cold molasses.

Try shooting something else, sports photography is one of the most expensive, it's cost me a futune

I already have a job!

That's true. Sports photography, depending on the sport, can require somewhat specialized gear, especially in the lens department. Once upon a time, sports photographers all had manual focus lenses, so it is possible, but it takes a lot of dedication to get to know your sport and your gear well enough to pre-visualize and pre-focus on the fly to get the shots.

For modern gear that has fast AF on a fast lens, which is the preferred lens config for sports, I don't think you're going to find the kind of gear you want to pull it off on the cheap though. Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist, ebay, the local want ads in the paper, put the word out to friends and family to be on the lookout, and you may find a deal out there yet.

Google "'Hyperfocal Distance". Trust me, a lot can be done with a 200mm lens and keep in mind that autofocus has only been around a few years. Many, many, MANY photographers managed to turn out some magnificent sports photography without the benefit of autofocus, auto metering, or auto-anything.

Google "'Hyperfocal Distance". Trust me, a lot can be done with a 200mm lens and keep in mind that autofocus has only been around a few years. Many, many, MANY photographers managed to turn out some magnificent sports photography without the benefit of autofocus, auto metering, or auto-anything.

Im 17 not ignorant! I have gotten some great shots with my 200mm lens. It still has its limits. I only have a 1/4 ISH acceptable photo rate.

My main problem is that I know with the proper equipment I could be competitive in the local market for sports photographers. It disappointing to me that I go to local sporting events and see "protogs" with beautiful glass, and an impressive hunk of camera behind it, but when I compare a lot of the images they get with the ones I get, mine are often as good as theirs. HOWEVER, what happens when that running back is running right at me, and I cant focus fast enough to get an acceptable shot as his distance changes.

Anything where I am using infinity focus is just fine, just lovely, but I get beat time and time again because I cant focus quickly enough on a moving subject coming closer to the camera.

Or can anyone teach me a magic trick that will turn air into money, that would be fine as well
Downsize your phone bill. I use Virgin Mobile on a pay-as-you-go account. $20USD every three months. A No Frills account. Works for me because I despise having a mobile phone, except of course when my car breaks down on the side of the road.

Increase the deductible to the max on your car.

Keep personal expenses to a minimum. Create a tight budget for necessities plus a (very, no wait.... extremely) small amount to blow and stick to it.

Sacrifice something dummy. Figure out what YOUR priorities are, forget the peer pressure and realize that doing with less is a short term investment in yourself. What is your ultimate goal?

Open an interest bearing account and pay yourself first each pay period. Start small with something like 5% of your gross pay. Soon you'll discover the advantage of compound interest.

Most reactions

Back