Fuji x-t20 or x-t2?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by birdbonkers84, Jan 19, 2019.

1. birdbonkers84

birdbonkers84 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Howdy,

I'm switching over to fujifilm, the deals on them at the moment are pretty good with the release of the xt-3. But I can't decide whether to go for the x-t20 and use the extra cash to go towards the 10-24 f/4 or get the x-t2 deal. I understand that the internals are the same, but how do the features differ?

I'm going to go into a shop and play with both as recommended by someone else, but considering there is a large following on this forum for fuji I thought I would ask everyone's opinions on the x-t20 or x-t2? I would appreciate if the answers stay on the question.

Thanks

2. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You may find the price difference is very small - due to the discounts on the X-T2 following the launch of the T3.

So go for the X-T2 and gain weather sealing and a better viewfinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The X-T1-3 cameras are all killer. I’d argue that the smart money is on buying new trailing edge Fuji bodies and stashing the savings for Fujinon lenses. Fuji X-T2 prices will continue to drop, narrowing the price spread between new and used. A bit more for a new one seems to be the plan, then shoot ‘em till they break. That’s where the value is.

4. birdbonkers84

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm edging more towards the x-t20 + 18-55 due to having more left over towards the 1-24 f/4. But how much of a difference does not having weather sealing on the body actually make?

5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I went with the Xt2 when I switched from Nikon to Fuji and I love it! For me, the reasons to choose Xt2 over xt20

1- weather sealing. Most of my photography is outdoors. I don’t hesitate to take the Xt2 out of the bag even in the dampest weather
    2- tilting screen. It’s a knee and back saver and great for getting those unusual angles. I had this on my Nikon and was not willing to give it up.
    3-larger, better viewfinder. My eyesight is not the greatest so this was a key reason for me
    4-dual sd slots. I like to shoot one raw one jpeg. Fuji jpegs are spectacular. I rarely need to download the raw files which saves me a ton of time and storage space.
    5-joystick. So easy to move the focal point or scroll through options while the camera is at your eye

While these are all seemingly small reasons, when added up they make the Xt2 the better choice for me. What/where/when you shoot could make the xt20 better for you. If you’re not looking at used, you should. There are a lot of xt2s out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. birdbonkers84

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty amazing tbh, but that's the exact same list that made me pick the Fuji x-t2 + 18-55 lens (arrives tomorrow, yay!).

Living in Scotland and on the coast I'm subjected to all types of weather. So the weather sealing was needed for peace of mind. Being able to shoot landscape/Astro in portrait, but also view what I'm photographing in portrait on the lcd screen was the mainly swing for me! Getting a sore neck from tilting my head all the time. Coming from the D500 the joystick is a joy to use so having it again was a bonus. Dual cards so I can write raw to one and jpeg to another. I've head fuji jpegs are amazing so can't wait to see! D500 I need to spend £100 to use the other card slot, no ty!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Great choice! I think you’ll be very happy with it. The jpegs are amazing. I barely edit anymore except for artistic purposes or maybe white balance. No need to sharpen every photo or always add contrast like with raw files... I don’t need to sit for hours editing anymore. It’s very freeing. I can send from the Xt2 to my phone and post to Instagram and Flickr with very little effort.

Looking forward to seeing your first photos with it and hearing your review of the Xt2. The 18-55 is nice and sharp and very versatile. I think the xc 50-230 is the steal of the line if you’re looking for some reach for cheap. I got mine used for under $220 and use it all the time. It’s small and light weight. Fits in my jacket pocket. Great for hiking/travel.

8. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I had (and loved) the xt20, but always wished that it was an x-t2. Same processor in both cameras and the jpegs are indeed lovely. I eventually determined that I was too committed to my nikon glass to make the full switch so I sold the xt20 to fund a D7200.

If I had decided to go full-tilt Fuji, I would have been biased towards Fuji glass with the old school aperture rings. Having an actual dial for every part of the exposure triangle is just SO satisfying. I never fully got the hang of processing X-Trans raw files in photoshop. If I had stayed with Fuji, I think I would have looked towards some other software for the raw files. You have to be REALLY careful sharpening those x-trans files. Having said that, some of my favorites from 2018 came out of my little Fuji-that-could.

Congrats on a great get. Keep us posted!

9. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I use Affinity Photo for iPad for most of my processing. Too many posts on the web about how Adobe kills the specialness if Fuji colors. I don’t want to deal with that. If I have to use my desktop to process and edit raw files, I have the free version of Capture One that converts the files just fine. I was going to get Affinity for desktop but I don’t really need it. No Adobe subscription fees for me! I do still have my old PSE11 if I ever have to resort to that.

I have seen a few people get excited, buy the Fuji, shoot in raw only, download to Lightroom and be very disappointed in their results.

10. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was lucky and owned both the X-T20 and X-T2 and both gave fantastic images and IQ, with the lens I had and now own you nailed the image right from the click of the shutter. Then I traded both in for the X-T3. If you can then I`d go for the X-T2 as the body is bigger and viewfinder is great plus it`s WR.

11. birdbonkers84

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I've heard about the problems with fuji's raw files with some editing software, good thing that capture one is free! But I also have topaz labs, PS and LR.

12. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit

For me and me only Capture one Pro 12 is a damn sight better at handling Fuji Raw files, the problem with the adobe lot is they don`t really listen to the people who use or own their stuff so I was very happy to jump over to C1 and AP. On top of that my Topaz plugins work a treat :)