Fujifilm XE2 versus XT1

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by millerguide, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

The X-T1 has a lot more features than just weatherproofiing over the X-E1 ... it has faster autofocus, more direct access buttons, better EVF etcetcetc

However, image quality is 1:1 the same. And both cameras have 1:1 the same IQ as the much cheaper X-M1 and if at all, only slightly better than the X-A1.

Definitely not for me, because I can use my D600's builtin flash to control my actual flash.

And about tilting, only being able to tilt up is better than nothing, sure, but quite often its pointless, even more so with a weak buildin flash.

2. CaptainNapalm

CaptainNapalm No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What makes you assume that the XE2 built in flash is weak such that bouncing it is pointless? Because I use it religiously in that manner with excellent results in most situations with ceiling heights up to 12 feet. It's nice that you can control your flash output with the D600 only it still doesn't solve the issue that it harshly unevenly exposes the subject regardless of the output strength. Articulating a built in flash is extremely useful, try it out.

3. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

I said "quite often useless" and not "completely useless". Dont take what I said to the extremes. I merely said that its quite often not what I want to do anyway. For starters, the wall above might not be white. Also when I photograph in portrait position the wall to the side might not be white. Also of course I simply wouldnt actually want to flash into that direction, like a portrait picture in which I want to flash upwards, or a landscape picture in which I want to flash sideways, or a picture in which I want to flash backwards because the wall behind me is white. And so on and so forth.

Its a nice gimmick to have a builtin flash that tilts upwards, but the feature that I can control my off camera flash with my builtin flash is more useful to me than the ability to tilt the on camera flash. I had an flash that doesnt tilt but upwards (SB400) and I very quickly noticed it was often useless. After that I started to get a lot more wary of advices given by Ken Rockwell.

As I already mentioned in the posting you answered to - I use external flash. Thus I really know about the idea of tilting my flash. On and off camera, and when off camera controlled by my builtin flash or controlled by cable. Havent taken the next step (radio) yet though.

4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Never mind the fact the X-M1 lacks a view finder--a huge disadvantage in any MILC. Might as well buy the new X30.

5. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I have both. For what I shoot and how I shoot, the XT1 easily better the E2. But, the E2 is a very nice little camera. I shot a play going long on the XT1 and wide on the E2 and I was surprised that the E2 kept up with the XT1. (As opposed to the XP1 which is just a slow camera and a dog in low light situations.)

A feature of the XT1 which I find useful is the grip. Doubles the battery life and makes life easy when going vertical.

6. Gary A.

I gave the E2 to my much better half and picked up another XT1.

7. sashbar

sashbar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Went for a short walk today, nothing interesting, so succumbed to shooting a street band and an artist in order to not come back home empty handed :chargrined:. I know, shame on me... But I am so busy these days it is a rare occasion when I can go out and shoot. One image was shot with Ricoh GR, the other with X-T1. The light was bad and weak, awful really, so the IQ is not really representative. As for the cameras, X-T1 is well worth spending an extra $300 for it's EVF and better grip imho. When it starts getting dark, you look into the X-T1 EVF and start laughing. Just amazing after an optical VF. But I still think that Ricoh, that has no VF at all, is the king of street shooting. Such an exiting little camera.

DblBass.w.jpg

Painter.w.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  8. Gary A.

[​IMG]
    E2, ISO 3200

[​IMG]
    XT1 @ ISO 3200

[​IMG]
    E2 @ ISO 3200

[​IMG]
    XT1 @ ISO 3200

9. sashbar

sashbar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wonderful images again, Gary. What lense did you use for the fiddler image?

10. pez

pez Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I shouldn't read threads like this. I just caught myself checking out XT1 prices.

11. Gary A.

Hey Sashbar, that was the Fujinon 55-200 @ 200mm.

Here's another same camera same lens same focal length:
    [​IMG]

12. Gary A.

If you're shooting a dSLR now ... there is a learning curve going from a dSLR to mirrorless. The XT1 is a different camera, not different good or different bad ... just different.

Gary

another XT1 w/ 55-200 @ 200mm

[​IMG]