Full frame a necessity??

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is a full frame camera necesary for everyone or more so just for certain applications?

I've spent the last few days trying to learn about full frame vs. crop sensors (not sure if I worded that right)

Did anyone factor this into their purchase decision really?

It's important if you want to shoot very low light and need low noise, or if you want a really high pixel count. Not to be a jerk, but if you're asking that question, you probably don't need to worry too much about the difference between the two unless you have a bunch of money and don't want to have to worry about buying another camera in a few years.

It's important if you want to shoot very low light and need low noise, or if you want a really high pixel count

Thanks for the response

I have been sitting on this question for a few days not quite sure how to ask it. I finally found some useful links this morning as I'd had an understanding but then someone at one of the shops I was looking at put something in a way that confused me...

So off to the internet I went. I knew about the low light and lower noise I guess I'm really trying to figure how how it affects the pixel count. The other thing was a case of when it comes to choosing lenses how the sensor format would affect the lenses

Not to be a jerk, but if you're asking that question, you probably don't need to worry too much about the difference between the two unless you have a bunch of money and don't want to have to worry about buying another camera in a few years.

I totally don't think that you are a jerk for bringing those points up :) More a case of I didn't want to back myself into a corner and limit myself by making the wrong choice of a body. I have been trying to make a decision for a few months now. As I've been working on my decison I have been learning more and more and my funding for my camera has grown. My husband really doesn't want me to "have" to get another camera anytime soon so he wants me to get the best (for me) setup that I can right now.

Thanks again :)

Many people start on the crop sensor cameras today (at least if they start in digial land) since full frame sensors were (At one time) only availble on the top range bodies - the flagship models for each company. Today there are more midrange and very good fullframe cameras (like the Canon 5DM2 - and former 5D model) which are now much more affordable.

My advice is that if your interested in things such as wildlife then crop sensor cameras have the advantage in that you get more range, however with cameras such as the 5DM2 with its 20MP sensor you can effectivly crop images closer and still retain enough image to create a good sized print - so the differences between the two are lessening.

However my advice is not to overly worry about the camera body and to put the money into lenses. Lenses directly control the light entering the camera and thus are the 2nd most important part of a setup (The most important being the person holding the camera). Top range lenses will not damage easily and if well kept should last you many decades and also retain their use throught that time. Digital cameras fall behind very quickly and in 3 years can be very slow and poor compared to the new releases.
If your not sure what lenses that you want or need then I suggest that you look possibly to a midrange body with its kit lens to get your feet wet in the hobby = if you can afford it its not a bad road to go down, but just bare in mind that lenses are really where the money is best spent - most people have lenses that cost many more times the cost of the camera body.

Further note that better lenses will give you much better improvments in image quality over a better body - remember the lens is the part controling the light

My advice is that if your interested in things such as wildlife then crop sensor cameras have the advantage in that you get more range

Thanks, this sounds like good advice. I do like to take photos of wildlife and my dogs. It sounds like a crop sensor camera will be a good idea for me as I would also like to be able to get some range for taking photos of my Chesapeake while he is working. And maybe I won't need to get in the kids faces for photos when we are camping and at the park...

However my advice is not to overly worry about the camera body and to put the money into lenses. Lenses directly control the light entering the camera and thus are the 2nd most important part of a setup

So unless I'm in a professional type situation (not planning on it) I likely wouldn't notice the difference in the light and noise differences that the ff sensor has versus the crop sensor? [/quote]

Digital cameras fall behind very quickly and in 3 years can be very slow and poor compared to the new releases.

This was one of my concerns I will point this out to my husband. I didn't want to get into a fancy body and they have it be completely outdated.

If your not sure what lenses that you want or need then I suggest that you look possibly to a midrange body with its kit lens to get your feet wet in the hobby = if you can afford it its not a bad road to go down, but just bare in mind that lenses are really where the money is best spent - most people have lenses that cost many more times the cost of the camera body.

What sort of bodies do you consider to be midrange? I was looking at a Canon 50D which comes with a kit 17-85 and then likely getting a 50mm (been reading the 50mm vs 85mm threads) I think I will also be looking for something that can reach a little farther out :) I don't mind planning on spending some $$ on lenses I just want to make sure that I fully understand what I am getting

Further note that better lenses will give you much better improvments in image quality over a better body - remember the lens is the part controling the light

Will keep this in mind. Thanks for taking the time to help me out :)

Full frame matters for:
- Very low light photos
- More depth of field control
- Extremely wide angles

Of course it's not a necessity, but it's pretty dang nice to have.

50D is definatly into the midrange - low range are the rebel cameras - the 400D or XT series of cameras. They are fine cameras, but limited in many areas in comparison. A 50D would be a great camera to start with.

As for differences in things like noise you will notice a different between the different camera models - a 400D will handle noise far worse at higher ISOs than a 50D will -- however if you have a higher range lens which has a wider max aperture (that means smaller f number) then you can use that wider aperture to let more light into the camera and thus not need to use a higher ISO to get a shot.
Of course there are times when you want to use a smaller aperture (bigger f number) and then higher ISOs are what you need.

In all its a tricky line to follow, but in general work on building up a good strong set of lenses (don't rush into this though, work with the kit lens that comes with your camera to get your feet wet - otherwise a lot of the chioces to make are almost impossible as you don't really understand how the different aspects affect how your work in the field with the camera).

One tip though is this - never think that pro kit is only for the pros. Pro kit is just much better kit that costs a lot more - if you enjoy the hobby a lot and can save up the money then don't hold yourself back on it

50D is definatly into the midrange - low range are the rebel cameras - the 400D or XT series of cameras. They are fine cameras, but limited in many areas in comparison. A 50D would be a great camera to start with.

As for differences in things like noise you will notice a different between the different camera models - a 400D will handle noise far worse at higher ISOs than a 50D will -- however if you have a higher range lens which has a wider max aperture (that means smaller f number) then you can use that wider aperture to let more light into the camera and thus not need to use a higher ISO to get a shot.
Of course there are times when you want to use a smaller aperture (bigger f number) and then higher ISOs are what you need.

In all its a tricky line to follow, but in general work on building up a good strong set of lenses (don't rush into this though, work with the kit lens that comes with your camera to get your feet wet - otherwise a lot of the chioces to make are almost impossible as you don't really understand how the different aspects affect how your work in the field with the camera).

One tip though is this - never think that pro kit is only for the pros. Pro kit is just much better kit that costs a lot more - if you enjoy the hobby a lot and can save up the money then don't hold yourself back on it

I feel great about this advice. Thanks for taking the time to help me work through all of this. I want to make sure that I make a balanced decision when I go to make the purchase. Can you you think of anything else I may want to consider getting off the bat? My husband keeps asking me about getting lighting because I am always complianing that our house has bad lighting. He has told me that I am to have an allowance of $100 a month from him for extras that I want on top of whatever of my $$ I want to put into it

If you ask this, you don't need it.

I feel great about this advice. Thanks for taking the time to help me work through all of this. I want to make sure that I make a balanced decision when I go to make the purchase. Can you you think of anything else I may want to consider getting off the bat? My husband keeps asking me about getting lighting because I am always complianing that our house has bad lighting. He has told me that I am to have an allowance of $100 a month from him for extras that I want on top of whatever of my $$ I want to put into it
Start with an external flash and a diffuser. The diffuser can be something like a Gary Fong Lightsphere or something as simple as a bounce card.

Digital cameras fall behind very quickly and in 3 years can be very slow and poor compared to the new releases.
This was one of my concerns I will point this out to my husband. I didn't want to get into a fancy body and they have it be completely outdated.
I'm sorry for being a bit of a jerk, but this way of thinking completely irks me. Yes, faster models will come out, but that doesn't have to mean anything. If your camera now can shoot at 5 frames per second and can focus within 500 milliseconds, then that's what it will always do. Your camera doesn't 'fall behind' unless you're the type of person that likes the newest and shiniest gadgets simply because they're the newest and shiniest.

My computer is a few years old now, but the visuals are no less stunning than they were on the day I bought this machine. (logically, why would they be). It's all perception.

I'm sorry for being a bit of a jerk, but this way of thinking completely irks me. Yes, faster models will come out, but that doesn't have to mean anything. If your camera now can shoot at 5 frames per second and can focus within 500 milliseconds, then that's what it will always do. Your camera doesn't 'fall behind' unless you're the type of person that likes the newest and shiniest gadgets simply because they're the newest and shiniest.

My computer is a few years old now, but the visuals are no less stunning than they were on the day I bought this machine. (logically, why would they be). It's all perception.

I said what I said and I can't really defend it though I think I may have expressed my thought ineffectively

It's not a case of the newest shiniest syndrome it's a case of looking down the road and not getting the fanciest thing right now as at this point (it has been pointed out to me I don't really have any use for a full frame body and I agree) What my camera (whatever I choose) does now I definately understand it will do in 3 years. My husband is pushing me towards higher level bodies right now and I think that at this point the difference in $$ could better be spent towards lenses (as has also been explained to me) and other equipment I am sure that I will have suggested to me.

If I ever find for some reason that I have a use for a full frame body I would definately like to take advantage of newer technology avaliable at that time but I'm certainly at this point not going to go running out tommorow to get something shinier just cuz it's shinier:)

Most reactions

Back