Full frame cameras - what are positives

Are you kidding? Those modes just make people stupider by taking away the need to think. I wish more cameras would get rid of them. Especially DSLR cameras.

I though about it from the marketing point of view, after all its a P&S.
-No modes(Many users use only auto and the odd scene mode coz they dont want to take a chance and spoil the pic, some just use the scene mode regardless)
-no zoom
-High price tag.

Even RIchoh has a similar cam, but finds few takers coz one needs to know exactly what he/she is doing to use it.

my cam has them, but i never use those. Stick to Av, Tv . Manual if i have time.

Are you kidding? Those modes just make people stupider by taking away the need to think. I wish more cameras would get rid of them. Especially DSLR cameras.

These modes are useless and confusing. What exactly is "children" mode? What happens if i use it to photograph an adult? What the **** does that mean for my aperture and shutter speed?? Not to mention they encourage people to not read their manuals.

Full auto mode is great, and all you need if you want to take great snapshots.

Ya, I know that they are there more for the marketing than for the knowledgeable shooter...but still, I've never used them.

Some of the newer camera (5D included) have customizable settings or modes. So you can preset a position on the dial or a position in the menu to what you want, then easily switch to that when you want. To me, that is a much, much more useful feature than 'head, mountain, flower and running man' modes.
Too bad I'm in a smaller market segment than the average soccer mom. :lol:

'head, mountain, flower and running man' modes.

:lol::lol:

I read some where that the newest thing is smile detection, after face detection.
Auto focusing based on face detection sounds and is good, but smile detection, for the camera to decide when to take a snap, sounds weird.
O yeah, it was a GE camera, now Sony too has it.

:lol::lol:

I read some where that the newest thing is smile detection, after face detection.
Auto focusing based on face detection sounds and is good, but smile detection, for the camera to decide when to take a snap, sounds weird.
O yeah, it was a GE camera, now Sony too has it.
Well of course this feature is purely for fun, and for that purpose, I think it's brilliant. I was playing around with one of these at work with the other guys. Having a camera that actually measures how much you're smiling is a riot. It's gimmicky, but still a riot.

In my opinion, every unique idea that has been thought up in human history was a "gimmick" at one time. Every single one of them.

I would like a camera that detects when someone is just about to take a stupid / boring / totally poor photo. Then the camera should just switch off.

that would save this world from so much rubbish produced ;)

then let me put it this way...

The sensor on my 40D acts like a 1,6x converter for the lens

Thats the point Socrates was making... no, it doesn't. :)

Its more like having a full frame sensor in your camera, having a lens that can use the full sensor... but then placing 4 pieces of tape over the 4 edges of the sensor on the sides to make it smaller. If you took pictures of the same landscape before and after the tape, the center part would be the SAME size on both pics, but the image is NOT magnified... its cropped.

However, when you print out on the same size paper both pics, the cropped sensor pic has to be stretched to fill... hence maybe that is where you are confusing "magnification" with field of view"?

I am not personally bothered using a cropped sensor and if I need "wider", I use the 10-20mm Sigma. I accept all the advantages of the cropped sensor, and all the disadvantages... don't bother me one bit... but I sure as hell would not turn down a D3, if the chance was presented to me.

then let me put it this way...

The sensor on my 40D acts like a 1,6x converter for the lens

No it doesn't. It acts like a sensor that has 25% of the physical area of a "full sized (35mm) frame.

I think you guys are right, im confusing FOV with magnification...

It was a bit confusing, because alot of websites say that with the 40D you have to multiply the lens by 1.6 to get the actual zoom of the lens, also when me and my dad tested this on our house, he stood in the middle of the street and he was able to take a photo of our entire home, where i had to stand in the prpperty of the guy accros the road to get the same photo, so i thaught its because the sensor thats smaller increases the zoom.

Well, i learned something new :)

Most reactions

Back