What's new

Full-Frame Dilemma :(

msquared

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 4, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hey guys!

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I can't decide on which full-frame DSLR I want. I currently have a Nikon D90, and want to upgrade (obviously). I'm trying to get as much information as I can on these cameras, but the more I read about them, the more indecisive I become. :( Here's my list of cameras I'm trying to decide on...

- Canon 5D Mark II (I'm trying to justify switching to Canon when I have all Nikon equipment... I know I'd be happy with the end result, but I know it would take me a long time to save to get not only the camera body but a good lens or two.)
- Nikon D700 (I'm leaning towards this one since I'm already a Nikon person, but again I'll have to buy another lens as I only have DX lenses. This begs another question - will my 85mm f/1.8 work on an FX camera? As in, won't get into the crop factor?)
- refurb Nikon D3 or D3s (I'd ultimately like to get one of these, because I love that it has two card slots. I just don't know how long I want to wait until the refurbs come back in stock on the Nikon website.)
- Sony A900 (Not sure if I'd want to do this, but I love how many megapixels it has. I just don't know if I'd be happy with Sony's selection of lenses. That and I don't know anyone personally that uses Sony... do their cameras have the same quality as Nikon and Canon?)


I'm a wedding & portrait photographer, so if anyone has a good recommendation for a full-frame body from my list above, let me know if you have any lens recommendations too! Thank you so much in advance. :)
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would switch from one to another when you already have monies invested although you don't say what lenses you all have now so I can't elaborate more on that. I have both the D90 and the D700 and do a lot of portraits and will be doing some second shooting for weddings with it and I love the D700. Your 85 mm F1.8 should work fine on the D700 and if they are Nikon DX lenses they will work on the FX, the camera just enables a crop factor and you have some vignetting but you can always compose to crop it out if you want until you can get other lenses.
 
I'm not sure why you would switch from one to another when you already have monies invested although you don't say what lenses you all have now so I can't elaborate more on that. I have both the D90 and the D700 and do a lot of portraits and will be doing some second shooting for weddings with it and I love the D700. Your 85 mm F1.8 should work fine on the D700 and if they are Nikon DX lenses they will work on the FX, the camera just enables a crop factor and you have some vignetting but you can always compose to crop it out if you want until you can get other lenses.
Yes, I agree. I think it would be silly of me to switch brands at this point but I just don't know.

Here is the equipment I have right now:
- Nikon D90 w/ 18-105mm lens
- 85mm f/1.8
- 50mm f/1.8
- Lensbaby Muse Double Glass Optic
- Nikon D60 w/ 18-55mm lens (I keep it around incase my D90 would ever mysteriously quit working at a wedding...)

So my 85mm wouldn't get the full-frame "advantage" on an FX camera? Sigh, that's what I was afraid of. I know that all my lenses will still work on an FX camera, I just want to obviously use the camera body when I get it to its full potential. So basically in the end I have to get all new equipment. :(

Thank you for your info, I appreciate it.
 
I'd stick to the Nikon gear D700 should do fine, looks like you have a good start on the glass.
-
Shoot well, Joe
 
The 85mm will be just fine. Its not a DX lens is it? I thought it was just a 1.8D lens. If it is this lens Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF then I do believe you will be just fine. The 18-105 and 18-55 however will have that crop factor.

The other thing I wanted to mention is you have 4 lenses all within the same focal range. I would drop that 18 - 55 and maybe grab something with longer zoom or a nice wide angle.
 
Thanks, Joe! The D700 is more than likely what I'm going to go with. It just seems the most sensible.

The 85mm will be just fine. Its not a DX lens is it? I thought it was just a 1.8D lens. If it is this lens Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF then I do believe you will be just fine. The 18-105 and 18-55 however will have that crop factor.

The other thing I wanted to mention is you have 4 lenses all within the same focal range. I would drop that 18 - 55 and maybe grab something with longer zoom or a nice wide angle.
Yep, it's that one! And good idea. I don't remember the last time I even used the 18-55... I mostly just saved it for my D60. But now that you mentioned it, that doesn't really make sense since I obviously have my 18-105... haha.
I'm renting a 70-300mm for a wedding I'm photographing later this month. I'm sure I'll love it as I've tried my friend's out before. I think that's the next lens I'd like to purchase... once I get my full-frame body, that is. :)
Thank you so much for all your help.
 
Your welcome, if you can afford it I would say rent the 70-200 F2.8 the optics on that kicks the 70-300 out of the water lol. This is the lens I am renting for a wedding next weekend along with a 17-35. I rent it quite a bit wish I could afford it outright haha.
 
I personally think you have an open option.

I have a D700 and I love it, but I also have lens like you do that is for FX. However, it's not a stretch to sell all of your current gears to help subsidize your new equipment.

Let's put it this way, why use a FX body when all you are going to get is cropped images at a pretty low megapixel? Eventually (and very quickly), you will want to get FX lens because you will find it just doesn't make sense.
So if this is the case, you don't have limitation on the brand.
 
You should get a Nikon just because if it stops working your lenses would work on your D90 and D60 depending what you're keeping as a backup, or you can have two lenses and use both.
 
D3>D700

I own both the D700 and a D3s, I'm looking to sell my D700 and buy a D3 its a great camera, waterproof, indestructible, amazing battery life and fantastically fast.
 
I'm not sure why you would switch from one to another when you already have monies invested although you don't say what lenses you all have now so I can't elaborate more on that. I have both the D90 and the D700 and do a lot of portraits and will be doing some second shooting for weddings with it and I love the D700. Your 85 mm F1.8 should work fine on the D700 and if they are Nikon DX lenses they will work on the FX, the camera just enables a crop factor and you have some vignetting but you can always compose to crop it out if you want until you can get other lenses.

If one brand has a feature you absolutely need that the other doesn't, then that's a good reason.

Anyways, the OP should buy glass Before a camera IMHO.
 
If you can wait I believe the Nikon D800 is suppose to be out later this year? If anything, it should drive the price down a little on the D700. Just a thought.
 
Anyways, the OP should buy glass Before a camera IMHO.

I agree, atleast that is what I have done. I am just waiting to see what Nikon comes out with next...
 
From a financial standpoint, stick with Nikon. Dump the consumer zooms. Sometimes it's nice to have three bodies, but a high end compact camera may be more practical than a third dSLR (D60).. The 50mm & 85mm will work flawlessly and nicely on the D700. If the Holy Trinity for Nikkor zooms is out of your budget now, a few primes can fill the void and can keep you afloat until that time. Personally, I like the primes on the D700. Get a grip...... I mean, the MB-D10 battery grip. But by all means, don't consider the D700 without also considering lens purchases as well.
 
Can you elaborate more on why you're switching DX->FX?

Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom