Full Frame worth it for me?

I believe I will bide my time and money and save up further for either used D750 or 810 and a used piece of glass. I figure another 6 months of diligent saving may even yield me enough for a second lens as well. Ive waited this long and its not as though I cant shoot currently so I will press on
I took the time to go through your flickr page. I think you have done a pretty good job capturing your Motocross considering the gear you have. I have a recommendation that I don't think anyone else in thread would disagree with. I mentioned it on the first page. Upgrade your glass first! A used 70-200 F2.8 VR1 can probably be had for about 1K and it will make a instant huge difference in your images.. Just my humble opinion...

I took the time to go through your flickr page. I think you have done a pretty good job capturing your Motocross considering the gear you have.
Which proves for the 100 times that if you have skills, passion and vision you can get amazing results even with the most basic equipment! :)

There are really zero advantages of using DX instead of FX except for costs.
It offers smaller pixels and thus more magnification. Which to certain types of photographers, such as wildlife and certain sports, might be very important.

I believe I will bide my time and money and save up further for either used D750 or 810 and a used piece of glass. I figure another 6 months of diligent saving may even yield me enough for a second lens as well. Ive waited this long and its not as though I cant shoot currently so I will press on
I took the time to go through your flickr page. I think you have done a pretty good job capturing your Motocross considering the gear you have. I have a recommendation that I don't think anyone else in thread would disagree with. I mentioned it on the first page. Upgrade your glass first! A used 70-200 F2.8 VR1 can probably be had for about 1K and it will make a instant huge difference in your images.. Just my humble opinion...
Thank you, I have come a long way and wouldn't even post up some of the first images I took, and like I said im happy with what this camera can do but I feel it is holding back my images a bit. I agree I need some fast glass! I have found a lot of used glass locally for a decent price that I would snatch up, but none of them are AF-S lenses with the built in focus motors, those are a whole lot more expensive and are also more scarce in the used market. That is my main reason for trying to get a body and glass at the same time. I wouldnt be able to even use some of the older glass until I upgrade the body.

Thank you, I have come a long way and wouldn't even post up some of the first images I took, and like I said im happy with what this camera can do but I feel it is holding back my images a bit. I agree I need some fast glass! I have found a lot of used glass locally for a decent price that I would snatch up, but none of them are AF-S lenses with the built in focus motors, those are a whole lot more expensive and are also more scarce in the used market. That is my main reason for trying to get a body and glass at the same time. I wouldnt be able to even use some of the older glass until I upgrade the body.
Well, if this thread hasn't talked you out of the D7200, I just got an email from Adorama for Refurbished D7200 at a sweet price. Pair that with some fast glass and you would probably be a pretty happy camper. Fair warning though, once you get pro glass, there is no turning back.. Nikon D7200

BTW, not sure if you noticed my name, but I live in the same state. Used camera gear is pretty slim pickings around here...

Well, if this thread hasn't talked you out of the D7200, I just got an email from Adorama for Refurbished D7200 at a sweet price. Pair that with some fast glass and you would probably be a pretty happy camper. Fair warning though, once you get pro glass, there is no turning back.. Nikon D7200

BTW, not sure if you noticed my name, but I live in the same state. Used camera gear is pretty slim pickings around here...
I still think the D7200 is a good option for me, as far as price goes its hard to beat. It certainly would be a good upgrade... I need to decide for sure. And yes I am down in Branford. I saw some used stuff down at Milford Photo but not a whole lot. A few lenses on craigslist as well

I still think the D7200 is a good option for me, as far as price goes its hard to beat. It certainly would be a good upgrade... I need to decide for sure. And yes I am down in Branford. I saw some used stuff down at Milford Photo but not a whole lot. A few lenses on craigslist as well
Hey, we are neighbors! I'm in Old Saybrook. I shoot a lot at Hammonasset, if you ever have interest in birds, let me know. I switched to Canon last spring, so if you ever want to try a fast camera, let me know... :)

I switched to Canon last spring, so if you ever want to try a fast camera, let me know... :)
I must have missed you switching to a fast camera like the d500 since your switch to Canon ...
:bouncingsmileys:

I switched to Canon last spring, so if you ever want to try a fast camera, let me know... :)
I must have missed you switching to a fast camera like the d500 since your switch to Canon ...
Oh man, you had to rub it in :p I currently have the best fast DX camera in existence until it gets obliterated by the D500 in March... :( But I do have the fastest APS-H camera and it probably won't be bested since no one will probably ever make a APS-H camera again :p

This thread hurts my brain.

If you "crop" a fx 300mm shot to 450mm, you have the same image as a 300mm dx shot. Hence, crop factor. Not reach, no zoom, no magic fairies...just field of view.

It wont be the same at all.

Assume both are 24MP. That creates a ~6000x4000px image.

If you crop an FX image starting at 6000x4000, it's no longer 6000x4000.

If you shoot the same subject, from the same place, with the same lens on a DX, you will capture a larger subject in relation to the frame in the same 6000x4000 image size.

Even if you're shooting a 36MP FX (~7300x5000), once you crop to DX size, you're down to a 20MP sized image , so it's still not the same as shooting with a DX uncropped -- because you still have all pixels available.

You've lost the resoution benefit.

Using Treve'r's picture: http://sowrongbutfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FXvsDX-960x640.jpg

If you crop the FX down to the DX size, look how many pixels you just threw away -- about half. But the DX shot still has 24MP in a smaller image area.

if both were viewed at 100% after the FX cropped to DX, the FX would look like the 12MP image here, where the DX shot would look like the 24MP

Hey, we are neighbors! I'm in Old Saybrook. I shoot a lot at Hammonasset, if you ever have interest in birds, let me know. I switched to Canon last spring, so if you ever want to try a fast camera, let me know... :)
I will certainly take you up on that if I get the chance!

Oh man, you had to rub it in :p I currently have the best fast DX camera in existence until it gets obliterated by the D500 in March... :( But I do have the fastest APS-H camera and it probably won't be bested since no one will probably ever make a APS-H camera again :p

Something I have been meaning to ask others with 7DMII. Not long after the D500 was announced, I received a request to do a survey in regards to my likes, dislikes, and desires. I wonder if you or others received the same survey. Of course it makes me think they are already......doing what they all do 'counter the counter to the counter'.
Basically, I told them I love everything but it would be nice to have a Sony sensor in it.

Did you get a survey request?

Something I have been meaning to ask others with 7DMII. Not long after the D500 was announced, I received a request to do a survey in regards to my likes, dislikes, and desires. I wonder if you or others received the same survey. Of course it makes me think they are already......doing what they all do 'counter the counter to the counter'.
Basically, I told them I love everything but it would be nice to have a Sony sensor in it.

Nope sure didn't.. Guessing I probably won't since they already know how I feel after the 7dm2 made it's third trip back :(

Nope sure didn't.. Guessing I probably won't since they already know how I feel after the 7dm2 made it's third trip back :(

LOL, they were afraid to ask huh! I have a neighbor who has a really good lens guy connection...needless to say, I'm hoping to connect to him so I can connect to his connection. ;)

Most reactions

Back