Full Moon

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So tonight I was cooking on the Grill and I noticed the Moon start to rise above the mountains. I got my camera and tripod and the 70-200 and shot the full moon. The Moon was rising so fast that each frame the moon was in a different location. The moon was very very bright casting a really bright glow. It looks more like the sun in this photo.

I applied a pro contrast and a detail enhancer to bring out some detail in the trees.

full mooncropped by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Because I like this image I am going to try to remove that green glare to the right of the moon. I thought with the Nano coating on this lens this types of things would not occur. If I can get it out I will remove and repost.

Last edited:
You should have exposed for the moon. There's not much dynamic range to make it an HDR image. It's just an overexposed moon and some underexposed trees...

If you had said this was a sunset, you coulda fooled me.

I went out and took a picture of the moon exposed for the moon and got some nice detail. I then took that moon and placed it in this this photo. I also added a misty effect and removed that glare. Bringing in more graphics into the photo to me helps make it pop a little more.

Here is the Results.

full mooncropped by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Or Sunrise (hehehehehehe)

sunmoon cropped by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

here is the moon picture I took

moon by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure if it's due to over-processing, or a hosting site issue, but there's a lot of banding in the sky now.

It's site hosting or Flickr. On my monitor it's smooth as a baby's butt

banding.jpg

I can see that however its not like that on my original file on my computer.

this is from original file cropped and hosted on photobucket

smooth.jpg

I can see the difference in the first pictures I posted to the second ones. Not sure why this has happened.

I think what I did last night was when I saved it I saved as save for web and devices and I think thats what caused the banding. I really have not have had any issues with flickr before but this time I just saved as
jpeg instead of using the save for web and devices ( I think the settings where not as maximum and also converted to sRGB.....)

Last edited:
Must be Flickr then.

The second go at the photo with a more properly exposed moon is better... Still a little bright, but there's some detail there. Nice edit.

Since it's from your deck, I would try a re-shoot for sure. Properly exposed moon and however many exposures you need for the trees and combine from there.

Must be Flickr then.

Yeah I don't know....could be on my end saving as for web and devices and not setting to maximum...

The second go at the photo with a more properly exposed moon is better... Still a little bright, but there's some detail there. Nice edit.

Thanks. I figured that I could at least have some fun with this image. I like adding elements to photos to help boost them when all else fails...I also figured out why it was that color. There has been some fires around and it was very hazy.
I believe that when the moon was rising it was so bright...Really you did not see as much detail in the moon but it casted a very bright glow and I think it picked up the haze in the sky (smoke and dirt) As it got higher into the sky it escaped
from that junk in the air. At least that is my theory.

Since it's from your deck, I would try a re-shoot for sure. Properly exposed moon and however many exposures you need for the trees and combine from there.

I might give it a shot. I think I could have really benefited from about 9 exposures for this photo but the moon was moving so fast that I just did not think that fast and settled for 3. With the D7000 I have to use exposure compensation or manually change
exposures . What I do is move the dial -5,-4,-3,+3,+4,+5 to get more range. By that time the moon would have been in a different spot. But yeah I should give it another go.

Thanks for feedback.

Must be Flickr then.

Yeah I don't know....could be on my end saving as for web and devices and not setting to maximum...

Thanks. I figured that I could at least have some fun with this image. I like adding elements to photos to help boost them when all else fails...I also figured out why it was that color. There has been some fires around and it was very hazy.
I believe that when the moon was rising it was so bright...Really you did not see as much detail in the moon but it casted a very bright glow and I think it picked up the haze in the sky (smoke and dirt) As it got higher into the sky it escaped
from that junk in the air. At least that is my theory.

I might give it a shot. I think I could have really benefited from about 9 exposures for this photo but the moon was moving so fast that I just did not think that fast and settled for 3. With the D7000 I have to use exposure compensation or manually change
exposures . What I do is move the dial -5,-4,-3,+3,+4,+5 to get more range. By that time the moon would have been in a different spot. But yeah I should give it another go.

Thanks for feedback.

Do you have an android tablet? Do you ever shoot tethered?

I don't yet but this seems to be a great app for tethered shooting with an android device with ALOT of features including up to 45 bracketed exposures.

tethered shooting from a smart phone ! - Open Photography Forumse talks about bracketing 45 exposures in manual in this post.

Open Photography Forums - View Single Post - tethered shooting from a smart phone !

I have not tried that and I don't have an android tablet. I will look into it more though, thanks for the info.

Most reactions

Back