Fun Family Shoot in park.

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, we got to do a fun shoot with a great family in our church. They are a beautiful family as you can tell. Feel free to CC, all comments welcome.

1)
PayneFamilySession-10.jpg

2)
PayneFamilySession-6.jpg

3)
PayneFamilySession-5.jpg

4)
PayneFamily-49.jpg

Surely some of you out there have SOMETHING to comment on! Any help is appreciated. Feel free to be brutally honest.

I like the first one best with the young lad looking away from camera, but you are you are not keeping an eye on your settings you were shooting at 100mm on a crop sensor at 1/100 (too slow) and F4 does not alway give enough DOF for a family shot

Last edited:
you were shooting at 100mm on a crop sensor at 100mm (too slow) (How can a focal length of 100mm be considered too slow on a crop sensor?) and F4 does not alway give enough DOF for a family shot.

To the op: Nice job. The little girl seems to have been very animated! A faster shutter speed might have been warranted in some of the photos.

you were shooting at 100mm on a crop sensor at 100mm (too slow) (How can a focal length of 100mm be considered too slow on a crop sensor?) and F4 does not alway give enough DOF for a family shot.

To the op: Nice job. The little girl seems to have been very animated! A faster shutter speed might have been warranted in some of the photos.

Edited it to 1/100

I like the first one best with the young lad looking away from camera, but you are you are not keeping an eye on your settings you were shooting at 100mm on a crop sensor at 1/100 (too slow) and F4 does not alway give enough DOF for a family shot

Hey Gary, we were working on the assumptions that 1 stop per person is roughly enough DOF for groups. So f4 would work for 4 people, especially if we keep them near the same plane. And we also thought that you could use 1/100 ss at 100mm. 1/200 for 200mm, 1/50 for 50mm etc. Is that only for full frame and not for a crop sensor? Those were just rules we have seen in books and around the forum and maybe aren't very accurate.

I love the first three, especially the post processing in the third. The lighting in the 4th one bothers me, I'm sure it's just how the sun was located, it just looks oddly exposed.

Thanks. The last shot was due to the sun location (backlighting the family) and was not from processing. It definitely gave a different look, so I thought I would throw it in for some variety.

The little guy didn't like photos, but the little girl was loving it! She actually looks just like her older brother did when he was her age if you can believe that. Thanks for the input.

I like the first one and the lighting in the last one is interesting to me. Especially if you did no processing. These definitely look sharper than the other set you posted but might be just a tad soft as gsgary mentioned. They might not even notice though.

Hey Gary, we were working on the assumptions that 1 stop per person is roughly enough DOF for groups. So f4 would work for 4 people, especially if we keep them near the same plane. And we also thought that you could use 1/100 ss at 100mm. 1/200 for 200mm, 1/50 for 50mm etc. Is that only for full frame and not for a crop sensor? Those were just rules we have seen in books and around the forum and maybe aren't very accurate.

Yes and i would usea smaller aperture

I know this may sound a little crazy but you may want to consider cloning they boy's eyes from 2nd to 1st. That way everyone is looking at the camera. His pose is almost identical. It is very doable and nobody will notice.

and the smile from 3 LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back