Fun with General Motors

Low compression can either mean shagged piston rings or a headgasket has let go, headgasket shouldn't be too dear to replace if it has got a leak but if it's a piston ring then they will pretty much have to tear down the block...

I'm assuming the 'burb has a V8 - Engine teardown = $$$

Xmetal said:
Low compression can either mean shagged piston rings or a headgasket has let go, headgasket shouldn't be too dear to replace if it has got a leak but if it's a piston ring then they will pretty much have to tear down the block...

I'm assuming the 'burb has a V8 - Engine teardown = $$$

Headgasket, or a hole in the block/waterjacket would be my guess too.

Of course the motor could be fine, and the computer's f'd instead.

Alison said:
OOOO! He's in transit from TX to NH at the moment but I'll have him shoot you a PM when he gets here. Thanks for checking Robert, you're awesome! :hug::
I second that! :thumbup:

ShutteredEye said:

:meh: Please don't tell me we could put a whole new engine in and be out all that money and have it be something else :confused: I am going to officially play ostrich and let Aub handle it from here on out :mrgreen:

ShutteredEye said:
Headgasket, or a hole in the block/waterjacket would be my guess too.

Fair call, you'd think the dealership would check the ECU for faultcodes but as usual they're just keen to extort money and not fix the problem. :???:

hobbes28 said:
We were the second owners, following an elderly lady that only used it every once and a while to get around town.

Thats the problem. She wasn't from NH she was from Pasadena! :)

Go granny, go granny, go granny go

bace said:
*edit* once the engine is replaced, sell the truck! ha!

We were actually going to do that before this all came up! We don't need the 4WD there and were going to get more of a commuter car. :lol: Not sure what we'll do with it once it's fixed!

And Varth, thanks for the laugh....but now I have that song in my head. I will get the boys singing it just for you for payback :lmao: :mrgreen:

My sincere condolences for the motor problems but having had similar crap from GM on quite a few occasions, it doesn't surprise me in fact I'm convinced that's GM's S.O.P. Customer service....wazzat?
Welcome to the GM haters club.
I'm curious about the problem though, if it was a holed piston or cracked block I'd have expected the motor to be blowing out lots of oil from various orifices or dumping coolant and generally being obnoxious.
My thought is maybe valve gear, i.e. stuck/broken valve, large piece burned out of one but the more I think about it, GM's have always been famous for cracks in their cylinder heads so perhaps there's a big one appeared that didn't go into the water jacket.
The only way you'll really know what's going on is to take the lid off so if you do we'd love to hear.
Meanwhile, it seems as though you've many friends who are happy to help so good luck and we hope it all works out for you.

That suck, that engine should be good for at less 300k before needing an overhauling, but I not bit simpered that GM did nothing

Good to see that I'm joining such a large club. :biggrin:

Thanks ya'll. This whole experience has been pretty unnerving so far and it has been something that is motivating me to do what I can to keep them from just stepping on us as well as other people. If I have to write every person that reports any sort of news in the US to get something done, I guess I should get busy writing away. It's not too much to do. You know the part that makes it seem bad is that they asked me what I would like to see happen and I gave the standard answer of getting a new car to replace it. Now, I think back and wouldn't even take a free car from them because of this... much less, I'd have a hard time taking one if they payed us. That's the point where a company will start to fail... I'd just like to be one of the straws that breaks the back.

Hey Aubery, I was wondering if you can get a 3rd party warranty on it out to 120,000 miles (Ive seen a lot of people do it here, hubby used to work at a car/boat dealership here) and get it serviced that way?

I know its possible as Ive seen people pay the thousand bucks for the warranty then taken their car to the approved mechanic to get everything replaced on it, might be worth looking into.

Sorry you guys are having such rotten luck with the rig and fridge :(

You have officially motivated me to get off my ass and sell my car.

There's nothing wrong with it at all.... but lightning does strike doesn't it.

Knowing me, the day before I sell it some bastard will run up the back of me.

or more likely, you'll run up the back of someone else!!! HAHAHAHA

no seriously me and vicky can understand your problem with car dealers, my car and her first car both needed new clutches within the first year of having the car. Mine needed a new clutch after 10000km....now clutches aren't usually covered by warranty, but 10000km is "unfit for purpose" as lawyers put it....These were brand new cars by the way. Korean but new.

Apparently you both need to learn how to drive standard better.

Teehee.

I hate to say it. But NO autoc ompany will replace anything out of warranty at a discount or free. Nobody!!! I don't have any GM cars but Dodge, Ford, nor any foreign will do anything to save you money when something breaks. Even if you think it should last longer than it did. And this is even more true when you are not the original owner. If you go to someone other than the dealer you should be able to beat the $3,500 price tag on a rebuilt motor easilly.

Most reactions

Back