What's new

Fun With Stairs and D800 at High ISO

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
14,457
Reaction score
3,329
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a pic of some stairs at our local library today...

Concord%20with%20Ed%20-%20004.jpg


That's ISO 3200... though knocking it down in res like that is cheating. :) Here's 100%...

Concord%20with%20Ed%20-%20004%20100%20perc.jpg


Which also shows you how crazy the resolution is on this cam.
 
showoff ;)
 
I want to say 2 things about this.

1.Nice picture
2.3200ISO is not that high, I use 3200 ISO on my D7000 a lot and the results are very good, the D800 can do MUCH more then my little old D7000, lets see a picture at 12800 ISO
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #4
I dunno... I find it starts to get sort of unacceptable up about 3200... 6400 is fine in a pinch, but beyond that? ewwww... but then I'm picky. I found my D300 to be pretty much offensively bad at above 1200, so...

I may have a 6400 one lying around here somewhere... lemme look...
 
I dunno... I find it starts to get sort of unacceptable up about 3200... 6400 is fine in a pinch, but beyond that? ewwww... but then I'm picky. I found my D300 to be pretty much offensively bad at above 1200, so...

I may have a 6400 one lying around here somewhere... lemme look...
Come on, dont do that to me, the D800 is my dream camera (ok and so is the 5DIII) there is no way the D800 cant produce a usable pic above 6400iso.
On my D7000 I use 3200ISO a lot as I mentioned and I even got to use 6400ISO, true at 6400iso not all pictures are very good but in most cases they are just fine so I am sure all you need to do is be brave and try your monster of a camera and show how well it shines in high ISO.

Go get them tiger!!!
 
BTW I see you have a Jedi Rabbit, do you also have a Padawan Rabbit ? :lol:
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
BTW I see you have a Jedi Rabbit, do you also have a Padawan Rabbit ? :lol:

pfft... hell no. I'm jedi all the way, baby. :)

I dunno... I find it starts to get sort of unacceptable up about 3200... 6400 is fine in a pinch, but beyond that? ewwww... but then I'm picky. I found my D300 to be pretty much offensively bad at above 1200, so...

I may have a 6400 one lying around here somewhere... lemme look...
Come on, dont do that to me, the D800 is my dream camera (ok and so is the 5DIII) there is no way the D800 cant produce a usable pic above 6400iso.
On my D7000 I use 3200ISO a lot as I mentioned and I even got to use 6400ISO, true at 6400iso not all pictures are very good but in most cases they are just fine so I am sure all you need to do is be brave and try your monster of a camera and show how well it shines in high ISO.

Go get them tiger!!!

ha, well... as I say, I'm pretty picky. I've got an upcoming play I need to shoot and I intend to push the camera to its limits then as I'll have like 3 hours and nothing better to do than burn a hole in my memory card, so I'll give it a real workout and post some pics up then for you to make your own decisions.

I did find this pic at ISO 6400... though it's not a GREAT example, because it's dark and dark is where you're going to see noise no matter how low your ISO is.

Here's normal... which looks quite good, esp. at this size...

Subway%20Tunnel%202%20-%20008.jpg


And here's 100%...

Subway%20Tunnel%202%20-%20008%20100%20perc.jpg


Actually... I guess that's pretty good. Esp. since there's no way you'd ever print the pic anywhere near 'full res'.
 
I want to say 2 things about this.

1.Nice picture
2.3200ISO is not that high, I use 3200 ISO on my D7000 a lot and the results are very good, the D800 can do MUCH more then my little old D7000, lets see a picture at 12800 ISO

Not really. I own a D7000 and a D800, and they aren't very different in noise.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
^^^ yeah I can't say I'm too surprised. The D7000 is no slouch when it comes to high ISO, and the D800 sacrifices some potential quality gains for having its STUPID high resolution (which I think is STUPID, btw.)

Did I mention STUPID?
 
^^^ yeah I can't say I'm too surprised. The D7000 is no slouch when it comes to high ISO, and the D800 sacrifices some potential quality gains for having its STUPID high resolution (which I think is STUPID, btw.)

Did I mention STUPID?

I will say, like someone else mentioned to me, that noise reduction works much much better with the D800 files. And the resolution and sharpness IS mind boggling.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
^^^ yeah I can't say I'm too surprised. The D7000 is no slouch when it comes to high ISO, and the D800 sacrifices some potential quality gains for having its STUPID high resolution (which I think is STUPID, btw.)

Did I mention STUPID?

I will say, like someone else mentioned to me, that noise reduction works much much better with the D800 files. And the resolution and sharpness IS mind boggling.

Yeah the one major advantage you have with the D800 is downsampling. You can knock an image in HALF and still have pretty much stupid amounts of pixels and it cuts down noise pretty drastically... or you can keep the image size and run a noise reduction app against it and get some amazing results as well. Soooooooo many pixels.
 
All you D800 owner SUCK!!!

No fair I want one too
emo16.gif
you rub it in good you guys
 
I love that subway picture and I dont know what to be more.....................proud of my D7000 or disapointed from the D800.
Maybe I have over estimated the abilities of FF cameras.
In any case I still dream to own a D800 or even "just" a D600 in the future.
All my lenses are for FF cameras so in case I upgrade I dont need to sell my existing lenses.
 
I love that subway picture and I dont know what to be more.....................proud of my D7000 or disapointed from the D800.
Maybe I have over estimated the abilities of FF cameras.
In any case I still dream to own a D800 or even "just" a D600 in the future.
All my lenses are for FF cameras so in case I upgrade I dont need to sell my existing lenses.

I too had a very high outlook on the D800. But supposedly it has the greatest sensor ever made.

I took it out yesterday for the first time, and sitting down and looking at the detail... it's crazy what 100% looks like. I could make usable images @ 100%
and I'm not even using pro glass.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom