What's new

Fun With Stairs and D800 at High ISO

Ken Rockwell is a moron. Check out the D800 review. He contradicts himself.

I will say though, that my D800 did need a WB calibration.


Yea his opinion was very strong about the D600 seemed bias to me.However the D600 is the one I like and more within my budget but I like the D800 as well.Anything beyond the D800 I say forget about it,way to expensive and would not want a army tank hanging on my neck.

The D600 is probably a very good camera, but there are a lot of compromises when buying it.
I will stick with My D7000 until I shoot good enough to justify a upgrade. Can I ask though, what do you mean by compromise when buying the D600.
 
Yea his opinion was very strong about the D600 seemed bias to me.However the D600 is the one I like and more within my budget but I like the D800 as well.Anything beyond the D800 I say forget about it,way to expensive and would not want a army tank hanging on my neck.

The D600 is probably a very good camera, but there are a lot of compromises when buying it.
I will stick with My D7000 until I shoot good enough to justify a upgrade. Can I ask though, what do you mean by compromise when buying the D600.

In many ways, the D600 and the D7000 are the same. The D600 has the same autofocus system. Same amount of focusing points. Very similar body. Same control lay out.
But the D7000 has better max shutter speed, better flash sync speed, better focus point coverage (due to the smaller sensor).

I was going to buy the D600, even with the slower shutter speed and sync speed but the one thing that put me over the edge was the focus point coverage. The D7000 is bigger than the D800 as well,
but the D600 is just too tiny.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dhdvk5.png
 
D600 has the dynamic range over D7000, and FF depth of field performance
 
D600 has the dynamic range over D7000, and FF depth of field performance

Doing my own research, I find that the D7000 has shallower DOF at the same distance and focal length. The difference is, you have to use a longer focal length to achieve the same FOV
this giving you shallower DOF.
 
D600 has the dynamic range over D7000, and FF depth of field performance

Doing my own research, I find that the D7000 has shallower DOF at the same distance and focal length. The difference is, you have to use a longer focal length to achieve the same FOV
this giving you shallower DOF.

Yeah i think we're saying the same thing. I had a D7000 and D700 and compared. Anyway I think we're saying this:


  1. For an equivalent field of view, the small-sensor camera has at least 1.6x MORE depth of field than a full-frame camera would have - when the focus distance is significantly less then the hyperfocal distance (but the full-frame format need a lens with 1.6x the focal length to give the same view).
  2. Using the same lens on a small-sensor camera and a full-frame camera, the small-sensor image has 1.6x LESS depth of field than the full-frame image would have (but they would be different images since the field of view would be different)
  3. If you use the same lens on a small-sensor camera and a full-frame camera and crop the full-frame image to give the same view as the digital image, the depth of field is IDENTICAL
  4. If you use the same lens on a small-sensor camera and a full-frame camera, then shoot from different distances so that the view is the same, the small-sensor image will have 1.6x MORE DOF then the film image.
  5. Close to the hyperfocal distance, the small-sensor camera has a much more than 1.6x the DOF of a full-frame camera. The hyperfocal distance of the small-sensor camera is 1.6x less than that of a full-frame camera.
 
Sadly, mine is a SONY a390 - anything over ISO 400 and I have to use ear plugs :grumpy:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
SOON....
 
The biggest problem I have with the D600, is that the impression of the focus points is tiny.

And my biggest problem with the D600 is that I cant afford to own one :(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom